Recover NTFS file table on a busted HD?

Hi there,

A colleague has an external drive with tens of gigs of 'stuff'.

I'm not sure *exactly* what he was doing but something went wrong and now when he plugs it into a PC, it reports as needing a format and he is unable to get access to his files.

He found a program on the web (sorry, I've forgotton the name) that copied the raw formatted data onto his working disk internally to his machine. this program ran through all his files and restored them but whilst it has recovered the file and folder structure, and whilst it has correctly found extensions, it has renamed all folders: "Folder1", "Folder2" etc and similarly files are "file1.jpg", "file2.doc" etc.

now - this is only on the COPIED data on his internal drive. He says the external drive hasn't been altered since crashing.

Does anyone know of any app that can recover the filenames (im thinking - recover the NTFS file system?

I found this thread
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1085170&highlight=table
and will suggest that program, but any other suggestions you may have would be appreciated.

David

An update for anyone who finds this thread looking for a similar solution.

My colleague says "File Scavenger is working a treat!!"

Thanks

David

I have used RStudio in the past. From my experience if windows can detect the drive RStudio will pull the data.

Someone earlier mentioned File Scavenger, I used a version several years ago and I was not impressed.

Hope this helps.

Back