• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Recording studio grade hardware ...?

ThreeDee

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Sep 5, 2001
Messages
11,472
My dad has a small recording studio of which he was just given 5grand to do some major upgrading ... he wants to retain an analog sound , so he is going to keep using his reel to reel setup and then transfer audio to a computer to "clean up".

I am building him a dual core setup for $1,500 to be his studio pc ... but I really dont know what to go with as far as a studio quality sound hardware and software for taking the signal from his multi-track reel to reel and then being able to mix down/clean up/etc those individual tracks on his new pc.

forum isnt exactly for this type of thing .. but I thought maybe one of you guys/gals would have some insight to at least point me in the right direction to get him what he needs...

..on a side note , I am looking for studio software that is powerful and feature rich yet as easy to use as possible .\

thanks

 
If he.s gonna dump 16 or 24 or 32 analog tracks to the PC at once he'll need recording hardware with a corresponding number of inputs that can be used for recording simultaneously.

If he.s got a 16-track tape recorder, you.ll need at least an EMU 1820 or 1820M with an 8 I/O ADAT device connected, or similar equipment, about 800-900 dollars worth of hardware. This option also gives you 20 analog outputs if he should want to do a mix on an analog desk. The quality will be limited to 48kHz/24-bit when using all channels.

If he needs 24 tracks or more, things start to get pricey. ProTools/Digidesign solutions cost more than his entire budget, but there are cheaper options like this Motu 24 I/O at around 1400$. This one allows 96kHz sampling with all I/Os in use. However, you.d only have about 100$ left for the rest of the comp.

Of course he can go for fewer I/O and transfer 4-8 tracks at a time, but this tends to mess up the sync between tracks... I.ve tried.

For recording software I.d recommend Cubase, either Cubase SL3 at around 300$ or Cubase SE at 100$ if your budget is tight (max 48 audio tracks on SE).
 
thanks for the info ... he's got a 16 track tape recorder .

reading up on the links you provided

..would I need 2 of the AI3 8 Channel Audio Converters to get simultaneous 16 tracks off the reel to reel into the pc? I guess maybe I'll search for a 16 I/O device .. This stuff is going to be fun to setup and learn how to use , but I'm strictly sub-noob in this realm as of right now .. :(


[F]old|[H]ard
 
You.ll need one AI3 + an 1820 sound card to achieve 16 analog inputs (8 on the AI3 + 8 on the 1820). The 1820 consists of a PCI card and an I/O breakout box. The AI3 is connected to the PCI card by lightpipe.

Except for stand-alone workstations I don.t know of any one-unit 16 I/O recording hardware in the price range, but I.m sure you can google up something. 16+ I/O cards will probably be more expensive than a 8-10 input sound card + an 8-input expansion box, unless you can find something used.

Maybe a better place to seek advice:

http://www.productionforums.com/
 
thanks again for the info and clarification on how the 2 units work together .. I'll be signing up to those other forums too ..and prolly just take a day and read thru forum post's to get familiarized with studio side of hardware and how things work when a pc is thrown in the works...

I know how to build a gaming computer , and I know how to use stuff in a studio when just strictly using a reel to reel setup a track at a time ... but puting the both together = clueless

:)


[F]old|[H]ard
 
Just noticed this USB 2.0 external soundcard with 18-in/8-out on the unit (no expansion required), ESI ESU 1808. If it works ok it.s almost too good to be true considering the price. I have only seen it on European sites, can.t find it on any US sites. Can.t even find it on ESI.s own site (esi-pro.com). I guess it would retail at around $600 in the US.

There have been some problems with previous USB soundcards and duplex (monitoring while recording), but this may have improved with the use of hi-speed USB 2.0. If you can get your hands on one, this card is definitely worth checking out.
 
Back
Top