Recording sound on a laptop

Patman

[H]ard|Gawd
I was thinking of recording bands etc on a laptop. I am wondering if that Audigy Z for the laptop would actually make a difference in my recording qualities over onboard, or even would a usb matter? Thanks.

For the love of pete, don't get any creative product for recording bands! I'd recommend one of these or these if you're at all serious about getting any sort of decent sound on a laptop. The problem with Creative products is, in general, their drivers are bloated/buggy, their sound is semi-decent at best, and when you're recording, they can have really bad latency issues (so if you want to go back and fix one part, you'll have a hell of a time lining everything up!).

Just my 2c. I'd pick something in your pricerange at musiciansfriend or similar site and check the 'net for related reviews and such. Also remember, software is as or more important than hardware for recording! (Also, don't forget a good mic.)

the mbox is 1x billion times better than the mobilepre.

I have used both and the mobilepre was complete shit. it just sounded awful. I returned it the same day I bought it.

Go with the suggestions these guys have made here...

I have an audigy 2NX and while it's output isn't too bad it's recording capabilities are simply terrible. Any time I record from the Mic input I get static in the background (very audible). I've tried a couple different mics with exactly the same results and I have upgraded the firmware, upgraded the drivers etc. with no effect on the problem. I use the microphone input on my laptop when I need a MIC, it's far superiour in sound quality and IMHO that is very sad considering this thing is supposed to be able to record at 96Khz, 24-bit and all that crap. That's no good if the input source isn't clear! LOL!

56k For Life said:
the mbox is 1x billion times better than the mobilepre.

I have used both and the mobilepre was complete shit. it just sounded awful. I returned it the same day I bought it.

Its also a very cheap solution if you don't have much dough, but I haven't used it myself, so the positive reviews could all be people who don't know what they're doing, I suppose. Do you have any other sub-$200 recommendations?

insanarchist said:
Its also a very cheap solution if you don't have much dough, but I haven't used it myself, so the positive reviews could all be people who don't know what they're doing, I suppose. Do you have any other sub-$200 recommendations?
well I guess it really depends on what exactly you are recording (i.e. through what interface). I suppose if you are recording through SPDIF (digital) that an Audigy would suffice since all you're really doing is transferring a digital file from one device to another.

I eventually went with the M-Audio Audiophile 24/96, although it's PCI so that wouldn't help. for my preamp I used a Behringer VX2496 and simply used RCA mono out to my sound card.

Back