Recording Rage with Fraps

overlord20

Gawd
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone else has had major issues trying to record Rage with Fraps. No matter what settings or screen res, I always drop to 10-15 fps when I try and record and the game becomes unplayable.

Does anyone have a fix?

Thanks for the help.

I've had no trouble with fraps. I record to a Samsung Spinpoint F3 and play Rage off an Intel G2 80GB SSD and get between 45-60 fps.

I didn't think anyone was really having issues. Need to figure this out.

I might just try a reinstall.

The game is very taxing on CPU and disks because of the use of Megatextures, so if you're not recording to a separate disk already you should.

I only have the one drive. Possibly record to a USB HDD?

I do have multiple partitions on my single drive though I doubt that will make a difference will it?

Worth giving it a shot If it's USB 3.0, otherwise there's no way you'll get enough write-speed.

Man.. I don't know then. Need to figure a solution out so I can record for my review.. Might just purchase a 500gb for this sort of thing.

Both the Spinpoint F3 1TB and 500GB are great value when it comes to frapsing, i would definetly recommend either one.

Worth giving it a shot If it's USB 3.0, otherwise there's no way you'll get enough write-speed.

even USB 3.0 isn't enough.. USB in its self isn't consistent enough for long term high bandwidth. the speeds gradually slow down the larger the file is. the other problem is that most manufactures no longer use 7200rpm drives and now use the slower green drives for their external drives.

best option is buying a second drive, preferably a 7200rpm drive for example like the WD black 1 or 2TB drives or the samsung/seagate equivilant(i haven't use those brands so i can't recommend a specific drive) or WD VR or SSD..

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone else has had major issues trying to record Rage with Fraps. No matter what settings or screen res, I always drop to 10-15 fps when I try and record and the game becomes unplayable.

Does anyone have a fix?

Thanks for the help.

Let me guess, you run ATI graphics?

Cuz i have exactly the same problem, seems to be a problem with ATI cards.

Setup:
i7-2600k @ 4.2GHz
8GB DDR3-1333 Kingston HyperX
Frapsing over gigabit lan to 2 spinpoints F3 in raid0
Windows running on OCZ Vertex 3 128MB
ATI Sapphire HD6870

So yea, my setup is more then good enough, still i drop to EXACTLY 15fps when recording starts.

ati + fraps recording opengl = slow (doesnt matter if framerate is set to not locked, or if you record at 30 or 60 or any specific fps)

it's been like this for years, back when i tried doom3/aquadelicgt/etqw on an x800 or 9800pro & really old versions of fraps, it was locked to 15 or 10fps then

i dont know if the way fraps records causes anything, or if the drivers get confused, but remember that fraps is a 3rd party program intercepting the graphics output

on a related note, dx9 + CF = 50/50 gpu usage when recording, or less if it's demanding
it was also awful in crysis dx10 or bfbc2 dx10 until fraps had an update to support 'sli', since then all my dx10 recording is scaling above a single gpu

my minecraft these days hangs at like 45fps in a large window, while staying at 60 in the default window, even though both sizes are about 110fps without recording
looks like my cpu goes to 50% total when recording (aka 2 of my 4 cores), there's some cpu bottleneck going on
when recording is stopped, minecraft is hanging ~30-40%

(4870x2, q9550 @ 3.6ghz)

EDIT: i just tried dxtory, seems to work great for opengl (minecraft & doom3, except doom3's pics & videos are flipped vertically), but seems to break CF in dx9 that i tried (mirrors edge & trackmania renamed to fable.exe)
have to do more tests like CF opengl & dx10

Last edited:
Back