recording from an application

MoDsOuRcEdOtNeT

Limp Gawd
I have been plugging my guitar into my line in to record but I want to record from the software I use on my guitar signal but audicity wont record it. Are there any apps that will record the audio coming from a specific program? Thanks.

I sometimes record webcasts and streaming audio with audacity. I choose to record from "Stereo Mix" not "mic or line-in" , that records pretty much any sounds that are coming out of my speakers.

Total Recorder is the premiere audio recording app (for Windows-based PCs) when it comes to needing to record the audio/digital data while it's still in that form. While this might not be the app you're looking for, I found the OP to be kind of vague to begin with.

Most any sound recording/audio recording/sound editing software will allow you to record from the Windows Mixer nowadays, you just have to realize one particular caveat about how Windows works with audio:

There are two mixers, not just one. One is the Playback mixer, the one you get when you double click the Volume icon on the Tray (this applies to about 95% of the people using Windows). The other mixer that is even more important is the Recording mixer; that's the one that controls what is being recorded by software like Total Recorder and most others.

You have to use the Recording mixer (found by opening the Volume icon with the double click, then choose Options, Properties, check the radio button for Recording and click OK - the mixer changes from Playback to the Recording mixer and you can add or subtract particular mixing devices as you wish).

The big thing to notice with the Recording mixer is that it doesn't have Mute checkboxes; it has Select checkboxes because only one device at a time is used for recording audio internally in Windows.

If you have a real outboard mixer with multiple inputs, you might have some idea what this means and how it works, but no matter how many devices you add to the Recording mixer in Windows, again, only one of them will be recorded at any given time and that device is the one with the Select checkbox marked.

Hope this helps...
bb

Neither of those will work. Ive tried total recorder in the past.

Looks like theres no way to do this without some extra hardware.

I still don't have a clear understanding of what exactly you're needing assistance with so it makes it difficult to offer any useful or helpful info.

Clarify exactly what you're trying to accomplish and maybe we can do better.

bb

Ok, I have an input from instruments (guitar, keyboard etc.) that goes to my line in and then I use software that changes the sound and such but as it takes the input from my line in, I cant record it.

Back