Record number of viruses on 1 system?

klowngoblin

[H]ard|Gawd
i was cleaning out a friend of my parents computer and it was not a good sight

LOLresize.jpg

LOL i didnt think 1 computer could have this many viruses and still boot up normally

The worst one I did was about 3 months ago. I removed 368 virus's and 1400 spyware items.

Then two weeks later when he called agin. I blasted the HDD and reloaded. I didn't try to save anything. Let him learn the hard way about backing up properly and internet protection and security issues. :D

I found over 2000 on a guys laptop once.

He had Win2k Server running on it completly unpatched, and had IIS running.

Full of every major worm you could think of.

Scary part is he considered himself an "IT professional".

As viruses go, the most I ever found was a little shy of 1000....

Quality over quantity here guys... I had this virus once that created a 5mb file in literally every single folder on my entire system. I could move the mouse, come back, and see it move 30 sec later.

I fixed a computer with over 3000 virus files on it. They were all caused by the same virus. IIRC it was backdoor.loonbot, or loombot or something. In almost every folder it created a whole ton of files that were named to entice people to download them over P2P networks. Worst part was that it was an old 95 machine so the removal literally took all night....yuck.

Plus it had some gay nascar screensaver with turbo charged spyware that drained all system resources. It was a good time...or not.

The impressiveness comes when you find a box with multiple viruses on it. Most different viruses I've found on one box is ~6.

Thousands. Friends computer had some virus that infected every .EXE and .SCR.

That was fun.

On another message board i frequent, some one cleaned up with adaware and hit something like 6000 on a computer shared by a 10yr old and 13 yr old boy, as well as a 15yr old girl.

Cleaned up my sister-in-law's PC a couple years ago after it was hooked up to the dorm network at Iowa State for 2 semesters with no firewall or anti-virus. Removed just under 1000 virus infected files, and I gave up scanning for adware after it hit 5000 items. I burned a few uninfected documents to CD, and formatted the machine.

Sure was glad I powered down every PC in my house before I plugged her machine into my network.

We actually keep track of this on a board in the office on a big board.

Most virus infected files:
12067 (May 17, 2003)

Most different types of virses found:
32 (Sept 6, 2002)

Most spyware componenets found:
3002 (March 19, 2005)

We have some other fun stats like most pr0.... I mean... no that all we keep track of.

HavicWind said:
We actually keep track of this on a board in the office on a big board.

Most different types of virses found:
32 (Sept 6, 2002)

Holy shit batman! Did the thing even boot? Wow.

A few years ago, when I was completely computer illiterate, I had over 500 something after the scanner finished. Hell, even my viruses had gotten infected by others. Huzzah for unprotected IE users! :p

nimda had a nasty little habit of dropping infected .mail files in every single subfolder of a hard drive. When i worked at *insert company name here* we had a bunch of image file servers that got infected...millions and millions of subfolders (different resolution images) all infected...it took DAYS to clean them all. *ugh*

My record is 27,000 virus-infected files and I am not shitting you. I believe that this was one of the early versions of bagle or mydoom....On the brighter side of things, it was the only virus I found on the system. :)

My record is a little over 5000 virus files, from 18 different virii, along with over 8,000 spyware files. This was at work for my college, and the plus side was, we got the guy to uninstall AOL from his computer. The virii had managed to infect every single file in the program directory, and even created a major amount of new ones. Needless to say, the first thing I said when I saw it was "Holy shit! AOL's a virus now!"

LOL my crappy 100+ viruses found seems like nothing compared to you guys, but on my own desktop i rarely get any bad things. between spysweeper, nod32 and spyware blaster it keeps its it really clean,

NOD32 and Kaspersky both do such a great job that they are what we load down at our office to clean up computers that come in with no AV loaded. NOD32 even has a DOS version :D

I use BartPE to boot and clean. I one machine 6 months ago with 8000 pieces of spyware on it and over 150 processes running at start up. It also had several hundered viruses on it. I had to blow it away and clean it up. But then to add insult to injury the hard drive died !!!! LOL i felt so bad for them.

mac_cnc said:
But then to add insult to injury the hard drive died !!!! LOL i felt so bad for them.

With that much crap on it, I bet it committed suicide.

Back when I was working as Support for a university, I got a call about a user having some virus issues. Ran over to their office and sat there for about 2 hours waiting for the scan to finish (I think I must've dozed off at least once or twice). After the scan finished, it came up with 1k+ viruses. Never seen anything like it. I think the system was running a older version of McAfee, but still, damn.

Back