• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Record Center Channel? (channel mapping)

Kiri

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 10, 2008
Messages
176
Hi, I have a bit of a tricky question here.
What I want to be able to do is record specific surround sound channels (actually just the center channel) from video files played on my computer.

I'm wondering if I can setup my PC and Adobe Audition to do this. I know people do it with external Audio Interfaces, but I'm wondering if I can do it with my computers onboard soundcard (it does have outputs for surround sound).

My system is Windows 8, and the sound is on the Asus P6T motherboard which has support for the following audio on board
"Realtek® ALC1200 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC "


In the output setup, I can select 5.1 or 7.1 surround for the speakers, but the stereomix loopback seems to be only 2 channels (I'm not sure how to set this part up properly)
And in Audition for the input sources I can only select the left or right channel from stereo mix.

I think I am missing something here..
Does anyone know a way to do this?
 
Get a 1/8" patch cable from your local Battery Shack and run it from the center/sub out to the line-in. Run your recording app of choice and force it to grab the appropriate channel -- I can't remember whether the center channel will come in on the left or right, but it's not like trial-and-error will take long.
 
you probably want to demux the audio track and convert it into a 5.1 FLAC file. from there i bet adobe audition can handle it.
 
Actually I was hoping I could just record specific parts of sound that is playing on my computer through the center channel. Basically, the dialogue from movies.

But perhaps I need a dedicated soundcard or audio interface for this?

I'm starting to suspect that the onboard soundcard will only let me output analog surround signals, but not be able to re-route or map them
 
Nothing in the consumer space will allow internal audio rerouting the way you want.

Depending on the video format, demuxing the track is the right answer, and I don't know why I didn't think of it myself. VirtualDub or MKVToolnix (or other free tool, as appropriate) to demux, appropriate decoder to convert to PCM, then open directly in audio editor of choice.
 
Thanks. I guess I will have to either demux or buy an audio interface then.
At least I know now, and can stop going crazy trying to make it work ><
 
I might be a total n00b here...but couldn't you just get a standard 3.5mm cable and connect the center/sub channel on your motherboard to the mic or audio in jack and just simply record the audio? Out one hole and into another?

Why the need for fancy software and stuff? I mean you might not be able to hear the audio while its recording and what not, but whats the main issue here?
 
Yeah, I guess I could do that. Not sure what the quality would be like though. And not being able to hear what I record is an issue too, since what I want to do is record samples from movies as I watch them.
 
Well just record the whole movie.

No need to make it more complicating than it has to be! :p
 
Back
Top