reconfiguring boxen

84gthatch

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys i've been thinking about reconfiguring my 9800gx2 box I've been having a fair amount of heat issues as I live in so cal and it's already getting in to the high 80's on some days. I was thinking about selling the 9800's and putting in the 260 216's as the power draw would be about 120-200 watts less for the box as a whole and I'd think it would run alot cooler as it has only single gpu solutions?

Any thought or suggestions on this idea if it runs cool enough I might be able to even add another box like that.

I was thinking about ppd the 9800 gx2's are getting about 48-900 ppd for me right now i've not really pushed them at all because they are sitting at 80 c most the time. 9-10k ppd for the 9800's and the 260's are getting like 7-8 if pushed a bit right?

Your numbers sound about right. How many GX2's are you running on the box?

I am in much the same situation as yourself as I live in TX. We've already have more than a few 80+ days and this summer is looking to be a bad one. My home office with 3x9800GX2's & 3xGTX285's can get a bit warm. My wife comments on it whenever she walks into my office :D :D She has suggested getting a separate AC unit for the window, but funds aren't available for that solution. It'll only get worse when I get 3xGTX295 in the next boxen.

Trading the GX2's for GTX260's will reduce power draw overall and may reduce heat some, but reducing heat is relative. If it's already hot, a few degrees won't matter :( (my wife likes to tell me there isn't much of a difference between 100 and 105. it is still DAMN hot).

just curious, what price you looking at for the gx2 if you sell it?

ya i know heat is relative but when I have to run an AC unit 24/7 in like april and have been for a couple of months it's gonna be a bitch this summer. lol

I was just thinking I could run 4 260's and almost offset the fact i'm losing the extra cores and if it runs under 80c the whole summer i'm happy because i'll just put them out in the garage or something.

Vaulter I dunno i'll have to look around and see what they are going for. They artificially tend to hold there value because folders want them for the space solutions lol;)

My goal was to break the top 10 PpD. Sitting at number 4. If I can get the funds for my next boxen, I can climb to number 2. No way I am going to unseat ROC. That just isn't going to happen :D

Anything is possible :D. Sadly he'll be gone once he passes FLECOM though.

I know at some point he'll be going and my next boxen alone would take into tigerbiten's spot. I also know that Sunin & lassiterb and others are ramping up so even my next boxen might not be enough.

well since you live in socal.. its only hot during the day anyways.. so just get a cheapo 99 dollar AC unit from home depot or some crap before the summer starts.. put it in the window.. problem solved atleast for the day.. nights it should be perfectly fine just leaving the window open.. the garage idea might work.. but not during the summer.. the garage will be an oven.. i live in norcal but luckly its been unnusually cold so far and windy as heck.. but during the day my room sits at about 95F with 3 systems running full load and my window open.. at night it sits at about 50F with my window open..

someone needs to make like a mini air conditioner about the size of a PSU that you could stick on top of your tower and feed an inlet into the top of the box, lol.

WC and stick the RAD in front of the AC :D :D

I've actually given that some serious thought. My room does get toasty and it isn't even summer yet. TX summers suck. This one will be worse!!!

well since you live in socal.. its only hot during the day anyways.. so just get a cheapo 99 dollar AC unit from home depot or some crap before the summer starts.. put it in the window.. problem solved atleast for the day.. nights it should be perfectly fine just leaving the window open.. the garage idea might work.. but not during the summer.. the garage will be an oven.. i live in norcal but luckly its been unnusually cold so far and windy as heck.. but during the day my room sits at about 95F with 3 systems running full load and my window open.. at night it sits at about 50F with my window open..

Lol thats the only way i'm keeping stuff reasonably cool now as it is:D I have a box fan with a shroud aimed at my main box and on warm days i turn the ac unit with a shroud on keeps everything between 60-80c usually. The Garage i'd probably install a air circulation system in to keep hot air moving out and cooler air moving in.

TX summers suck. This one will be worse!!!

lol, I have lived in Houston, Bryan, Centerville, and Marquez, so I can vouch for that. Just do what I did, move 1400 miles north to the snow belt in Michigan! Open the window and its instant 50 degrees in here right now!

Umm. NO. hehehe. My wife is a native Texan and one of the conditions of our getting married was that I never ever think about moving :D

or sell the 98's to people in ohio/mich area :)

just playin (unless you want to sell..... lol)

I'm seriously thinking about slapping 4 260's in there instead of the 3 9800's as I do believe the power draw will be about the same without having to run as dedicated a cooling system on them.

I've been monitoring temps in my main box and I'm going to be putting 260's in it because my single gpu that's sandwiched between the gx2's is about 25c cooler and with summer approaching that will make a big diff.

Back