Reconditioning Storm G5

vudoo

Limp Gawd
I bought a Storm G5 off someone on ebay. Seems that he didn't treat it very well.

The mounting plate is scratched up.

The baseplate is in bad condition too... Going to need some lapping. Autozone tomorrow... There is nothing special about lapping silver right? Same as lapping copper baseplates?

Looks like some of the holes are clogged. I'm surprised at how small they are. I can't find a needel small enough to fight through them. Not sure how I'm going to clean them outl

There's some black stuff inside the holes. I'm cleaning them out right now w/ toothpicks and some damp napkins.

I've already rinsed the parts through some water and tried clean them w/ damp napkins.
Any suggestions?

Run vinegar through them to help clean.

Remember silver is a softer metal than copper/brass. Be gentle when lapping as you could deform the face.

i wouldn't mess with that base, myself. it never had a mirror finish and was never supposed to. making it shinier might add to the cosmetic appeal, but the satin finish and tiny scuff marks don't look like they'll do anything bad to your cooling and if you accidently mess of the flatness of the surface...........it's more likely to hurt you than to help.

have you though of just going over it with some silver polish and a soft cloth?

I'll give the silver polish a try. I can drop it off at Tiffany's to have it done. :D
LOL.

I agree with people saying not to mess with the bottom. Cathar himself (designer of the block) has said not to lap the bottom. It is already lapped to a very tight tolerance, and anything you do to it is more likely to hurt than help.

I wouldn't use silver polish on the bottom as the chemical compounds may interfere with your TIM.

I wouldn't mess with the bottom at all. There may be little scratches, but that's why there's Thermal paste. Not to mention, shiny < flat.

As for the holes, try a single strand of wire. If not, just blast it with compressed air :)

Baseplate looks good. Silver will tarnish, but it's nothing more than a cosmetic issue. As for the adaptor plate, you can polish it up a bit or chrome it. Expect to pay $25-40 to have that done.

Clean the cups and the jets just the way you have been. A sewing needle is fine enough to fit through those jets and should work well. Just be careful - the jets are extremely delicate.

Oh, and welcome to the club.

Top Nurse said:
I wouldn't use silver polish on the bottom as the chemical compounds may interfere with your TIM.
this is an honest question: do you know what's in silver polish? i don't know for sure.

i thought that it was a petroleum base with some abrasive compounds in it. if so, a quick pass with some arctic cleaner should take things down to clean metal, hence my advice.

i got an apogee ...

would you guys say the apogee and storm are within 5C of each other?

how about between the apogee and TDX within 3C?

sorry it's off topic .. i'm just torn up inside ... like the half of the movie ticket you give to the guy before you can see the movie..

mal

malicious said:
i got an apogee ...

how about between the apogee and TDX within 3C?

sorry it's off topic .. i'm just torn up inside ... like the half of the movie ticket you give to the guy before you can see the movie..

mal
dude......of course the apogee and storm are within 5C of each other. most any two blocks are within 5C of each other......

depending on the accelerator plate used, the TDX should be within 2 C of the storm, at the worst.

the storm is the best, but if you're just looking at celcius performance, you're not likely to see a difference in reading from a CPU diode, and real difference in temperature may or may not be affecting your peak OC.

malicious said:

On what heat source? With what components? Really don't have enough information to go by.

Don't let the G5 "tear you up" - these are not easy blocks to come by. Most modern blocks are excellent performers on real CPUs.

Thanks guys. I'll just probably not mess w/ it at all. Just gotta clean out those jet holes.

Back