Recommened ssd

unwantedSN

Weaksauce
Im looking for a decent / cheap SSD for the wifes laptop. My only requirements are that its sataIII and costs around $75. Storage isn't an issue, shes currently using <25gig and I cant foresee her going over 50gig.
Anyone have some suggestions?

I recommend a 256GB Crucial MX100. At times this has been under $100. I would not bother with small drives. They do not have anywhere near the performance or reliability of a 256GB model.

240/256GB minimum. Also there is no way she's using <25GB unless she's on an OLD version of Windows or is using a different OS. Heck, I doubt very much your claim that she will never go over 50GB, as it takes very little installed software on Windows to hit that.

Sandisk might be about right for the budget.

Samsung 850 Pro 120GB

How can this be your recommendation for "cheap/decent" ? It's so expensive that most enthusiast skip it for it's cheaper siblings like the 840 EVO or MX100.

My personal recommendation would probably be the MX100 due to the recent firmware bugs with the 840 EVO.

I've personally used SSDs from G.Skill, OCZ, Kingston, PNY, Intel, Samsung, and Mushkin. I've had the worst experiences with Intel and Samsung. The Intel drive failed after a few months, and I have the performance degradation problem with my two EVO drives.

The rest of the drives have gone on working fine. The cheap Kingston V300's have consistently been the best performers.

Back