Recommended Socket 939 Motherboards?

SofaKing

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm not up to date on the current socket 939 chipsets, and I'm looking for a good socket 939 motherboard, preferably in the $100-120 range. Also, what are the advantages of the nforce 3 ultra chipsets or k8t800? Fire away and thanks in advance!

Also, there's quite a large price gap between the 3000+ socket 939 and 3200+ s 939 ($50). Are there any differences besides the clock speeds between those two?

Asus for in that price range, but if you want a good upgradeble mobo for the future, EPOX has a bit more expensive board with nforce4 but the nforce3 ultra gets the job done for me.

What ever you do, do NOT touch any of the Gigabyte boards.

1. They do not support dual channel DDR400 memory
2. they only officially support Crucial and Kingston memory.
3. The NF3 SATA ports are buggy at best
4. They do not fully support the 90nm cpus.
5. They do not fully support the 5x HT bus.

among other issues. Ignore anything that Gigabyte says, AMD and Corsair know what's right (hit up their forums).

Look into the Epox.
I have read some problems with the Msi and Gigabyte boards. So Epox was my final choice. Recognized my winchester core and overclocked very easily and stable so far.

I just ordered an asus A8V and an AMD 64 4000+ from newegg, tell me how your installation goes if you get it before me :D

Will do...:). But I don't think there'll be any problems because the 3400+ isn't a winchester core.. It was shipped already, awesome... :D

I'll probably order my 3400 or the 3500 very soon, well, as soon as the Asus A8N SLI is released. So, I hopefully I'll get this by very early next year... I hope. :confused:

Is your tracking number working? Mine was shipped friday and isnt working, I assumed it would come up today, (Some ram I ordered off newegg going through fedex wasnt working untill today) im going to give it a little more time before I start bugging people, just wanted to check with you.

Make sure taht ur order is in step 5 of 5 before complaining about ur tracking number. With my motherboard, same one you talking about, it took a whole day for it to finish step 5 for some reason and didn't give me the tracking number until the next day. But once it gives you a tracking number it will be there in 2 or 3 days usually.

But if it gives you a tracking number and the link is dead or doesn't work. That's usually when I have probs..... but wait till tommarow afternoon before you call em up or sumthin.

Yeah I have a tracking number but when I click on the link they give me ups cant find it, which usually means ups havent updated their stuff yet or I was given the wrong tracking number. If it doesnt work by tommorrow ill get hold of tigerdirect (I would hate to find out a month later that it wasnt shipped) If they dont figure it out ill try ups.

Most likely ups is backed up with the holiday shipments.

Oh yeah sofa, forgot to mention the cpu is oem, youll need a heatsink. (If you didnt already know)

Edit: Yeah has to be ups, my heatsink tracking number is doing the same thing. My newegg/fedex package tracking number is working fine though, so if you ever have a choice between shipments and arent biased yet go fedex. =)

Depends what you want, the *best* from what ive heard is the xp-120, I wussed out and got the cheapest copper one I could find. You could save a few more bucks with an aluminum one, be sure what you do get includes thermal paste. As always check www.pricewatch.com for stuff and cross check with froogle.google.com

The one I bought explicitly says s939 in the description, however every other place that sales it says 754/940. So im guessing the heatsinks from these sockets are all the same, I could be wrong though so you may want to find that out. If mine doesnt fit im going to let the retailer have it for saying 939 in his description, but im sure it will.

eh mine is, I oredered through newegg, I got my tracking number ready and everything is good to go.
THANK GOD I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR MORE THAN A YEAR NOW AND FINALLY THE TIME HAS COME!

yes, all athlon 64 heatsinks work for either socket 754 or 939, so it should work, unless it specificly says so.......

Thermaltake/Valcano i'd have to say is one of the better heatsink/fans that you can find, they're pretty big though so if' you've got a small case or sumthin with the powersupply tipped sideways you may wanna check the sizes.....

But if you don't realy care, a copper one or aluminum one should do fine..

Everything is arriving dec 2, should all be here by about ~5:00pm. I think its kinda funny that everything is coming on the same day but im not complaining =)

Does UPS usually deliver it on the planned date? Because it says my delivery was planned for Dec.6.. :(

Yeah normally, im not so sure about this holiday season but so far they havent missed one for me. And it always seems to arrive very late in the day.

Crap, I don't want to wait a week..lol. Fedex always delivers well before the scheduled date..that's why I was asking.

Everything arrived on time, my darn heatsink didnt have the thermal grease and was packaged crappily, resulting in a bent fin and fan bracked. The heatsink looks everything but new, has some crap on the side and looks generally crappy, but microtechcomputers sending grease over in about 3 days. You do get what you pay for I suppose.

Anyway the processor/mb combo is packed with airbags, one of mine deflated but everything looks okay. cpu is in its own plastic package as well. I might take some shots later if I have time.

Im going to go ahead and relocate this computer into another case.

And my geil ram came with some thermal grease, not sure what the heck for, maybe ill get lucky.

Everything works fine, I accidently put the power switch one prong too close to the reset switch (there was suppose to be one between them) Really bummed me out when I got everything back together and hitting power did nothing. Reseated the cpu and messed with ram some just to find out it was that. =/

Upon installation I got a bluescreen during *formating* decided to immediately memtest and of course thousands of memory errors. Memtest reported my timings at 2-4-4-7 when its suppose to be 2.5- 7 -4-4 and sure enough changing my tRCD to 6 (highest mobo would go) fixed it. Now all I need to do is install everything, heck havent even gamed on it yet.

Gotta say, putting in the board/CPU/RAM in my sig this week was quite an eye-opener in terms of performance. It beats my Athlon XP-M 2500+ running at 2.3GHZ easily.

Adding the GeForce 6800 last week didn't hurt either, but it revealed how CPU-limited you can get. I got a lot bigger performance boost adding the CPU. I didn't even have to reinstall XP Pro.

It doesnt, thats one I picked up for $17, it was obviously open box (had thermal paste on it) and shipped crappily. They even forgot the thermal paste, good thing my geil ram came with some copper thermal paste for no apparent reason or I wouldnt be on it right now.

Back