Recommended SAS drives/sources ?

Monkey34

Supreme [H]ardness
I was hoping to hold out until drive prices bounced back, but I've got to replace some SAS drives in a SBS box.

I haven't picked any up in a while, so I was looking for some input for recommended drives and vendors......or at least ones I might want to stay away from.

I go with Seagate SAS drives, 10K or 15K. What kind of configuration are you thinking? RAID, Array size, redundancy, etc? What kind of perfornace are you looking for, and what is your budget? Don't forget the controller card in the mix, it can potentially affect performance greatly.
Lastly, you might want to have this moved to the Data Storage Systems thread for more relevant eyes on your post.

SAS drives are pretty hard to get a hold of, especially in quantity. Our manufacturing department is starting to see some quantity of specific sizes (SATA) become available but I just tried to get quantity of SAS drives for a project and was more or less told they were unavailable (~30 2.5" 300gb 10k). 7200rpm 2TB SAS drives basically don't exist right now :(

Most didtributors are more likely to let some drives loose if you bundle other purchases with them. At least that was the case a month ago. I buy from ASI and D&H. ASI has the better prices on drives when they have them. Last month Ingram Micro had some 300GB 15K SAS drives but would only let them loose with alot of bundled hardware.
Just a bad time to be buying hard drives.

I go with Seagate SAS drives, 10K or 15K.
gracias.

We get most of our server replacement parts from here
http://serversupply.com/
Good prices and fast shipping...suppose that varies based on your geographical location...they're in NY.
Nice. I already like a few things there....pretty close to me too.

Most distributors are more likely to let some drives loose if you bundle other purchases with them. .

Good point.

It's going to be a "fun" project. Someone blasted through - made a quick entry-level server sale, and ran. It has raid-1...one drive dead, no spares, no backups thought about, limited storage. Going to try getting them to tighten up security a bit too. It only took a couple of minutes to notice their answer to any issue is to give someone full permissions. Shares all over the place too. :rolleyes:

Back