Recommended PSU for GTX 1070 SLI

Last edited:
As long as it's a good quality make, a 650 watt PSU should be sufficient assuming you don't have a ton of drives or plan on heavy overclocking. If it were up to me I'd probably go for the 750W anyway just because I like to err towards caution when it comes to power, but again that's just me.

Speaking of good quality makes:
Fractal Design Integra M 650W Modular 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified ATX Compact Power Supply @ Newegg = $69.99 (reg. 79.99)
Fractal Design Integra M 750W Modular 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified ATX Compact Power Supply @ Newegg = $79.99 (reg. 89.99)
</shameless plug>

Dang Kurt, don't be hating too much on us because we didn't respond to your post.

In either case, just get which ever power supply that has good 80 plus rating and well known that's within your budget. What you've listed and the fractal designed ones are all pretty good. Go with those. </thread>

Saw this come up and the initial listed power supply and the two in the following reply looked pretty good. There are a lot of good power supplies for you Kurt and the 1070s don't use a lot of power. You don't need to be too picky :)

GTX 1070s are in the 160 watt range, overclocked on air about 200 watts. The 6700K is in the 80 watt range, 120 watts overclocked on air. You're looking at about 600 watts (approximately 50 watts for the rest of the system) load overclocked on air, and less than 500 watts at stock.

80+ rating is a really poor indicator of a power supply's reliability and quality.

A 500 Watt PSU will be plenty. I'm running a 6700k + dual 1080's and I don't get more than 420 Watt from the wall when running fur mark and cpu burner (I am using a Platinum grade PSU)

Today's GFX in general are drawing even less power specially while in idle mode. I would say depending on your setup a good 500w will be more than enough.

Two 1070s? So like, 350w between them? A Hamster in a wheel would be fine.

I really like corsair PSUs. Look at their new AXi line. Really nice stuff.

Today's GFX in general are drawing even less power specially while in idle mode. I would say depending on your setup a good 500w will be more than enough.

Not in the least bit true. GPUs can suck down more power than they have in the past. The primary difference now is that rather than releasing their big die first and the small die second, nVidia is releasing the small die first as the flagship card, and then the big die as the next generation flagship at exorbitant prices. And it is working because people fall for it hook, line, and sinker.

I really like corsair PSUs. Look at their new AXi line. Really nice stuff.

AXi are overpriced and not worth it unless you have money to burn and you really want to monitor your power usage from your computer.

Not in the least bit true. GPUs can suck down more power than they have in the past. The primary difference now is that rather than releasing their big die first and the small die second, nVidia is releasing the small die first as the flagship card, and then the big die as the next generation flagship at exorbitant prices. And it is working because people fall for it hook, line, and sinker.

AXi are overpriced and not worth it unless you have money to burn and you really want to monitor your power usage from your computer.

gotta pay to play ;)

gotta pay to play ;)

I would rather pay for things that provide a tangible benefit for me than fluff I would never use. EVGA G2, GS, and P2 PSUs offer far better value with top notch performance.

I would rather pay for things that provide a tangible benefit for me than fluff I would never use. EVGA G2, GS, and P2 PSUs offer far better value with top notch performance.

Those are all great opinions you have. Just like the ones I have about really liking the corsair AXi line.

Back