Recommended OS

poconopc

Gawd
Hey guys , I love to game everything from Crysis down to abandonedware and even Mame.

I have a decent rig with 4gb of memory and I was wondering if I should install Vista 64bit and leave XP behind?
I think all of my hardware has drivers for 64bit and I already have a license.

I also play EQ , Warhammer and some other online stuff. What do you all think?

Vista 64 Ultimate with Service pack 1. I'ts been flawless.

I really like Vista 64, it's been fantastic so far. However, that being said, there have been several things that I couldn't get to run on it, or at least not without a lot of finessing, so beware.

If you play a lot of really old games I'd probably stick with XP. From what I've heard Vista has compatibility problems with older games. I know I couldn't get Thief 1 & 2 and the original Command & Conquer running.

Vista x64 here as well.

I have been able to run all of my older games and apps via compatability modes and run as Administrator.

If you have the hardware for Vista, go for Vista.

Why would you limit yourself to playing a DX10 game in DX9 if you have DX10 hardware?

XP is still the "king" for old games, so, yeah, dual boot. You can strip a lot of the unnecessary items from XP with nLite and keep the install size down to less than a gig if space is a premium.

running Vista64 here for the past month and its fantastic! Its so much snappier than XP.

I liked XP, but I love vista x64...I even play command and conquer tiberian sun on it no problems at all.

Yea, Vista 64 for sure, granted I'm on Vista 32, but that's because of how god awful 64 bit OS's were when I got my Vista.

I just installed Vista Ultimate 64bit. I forgot my license coverered that version as well. Its been great. The only driver it missed was my backup wireless card.
I am happy so far , I noticed a huge speed increase in Warhammer Online esp within the menus.

Here is my setup
AMD 6400+ BE
ATI HD 2900 XT with 1GB , soon to install my 4870x2 its on the Fedex Truck
150gb Raptor and primary and 2 500gb as data drives
20" Viewsonic LCD , soon to be a Benq 24" V2400W also on the fedex truck

Has anyone gotten System Shock 2 or Deus X to work on Vista?

First of all, the entire thief series and system shock 2 will run perfectly on vista, even 64 bit, you just have to do a little tweaking. Check out this forum link to get the widescreen patch and ddfix going so you have good shadows and graphics. Before you launch the game, hit up this link to set your multi-core affinity to single so the game runs properly, that's it.

This thread is a huge faq in case I missed anything. :D

Back