• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Recommended OS for a Laptop

Hito Bahadur

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2006
Joined
Jul 8, 2004
Messages
3,169
All,

Any recommendation for a old 4000CDS Toshiba Laptop? It's a 233 Pentium II with 96 MEG RAM. My understanding is that Linux usually doesn't work with older laptops... and I don't have much experience with Linux, but Windows is killing the system.


 
Knoppix sort of loaded...(it needed more memory), so I'm going to try Debian. I'll keep all posted.
 
.45 at >1000ft/sec?

short of that, zipslack would probably fit the disk just fine, and not have much overhead. i forget whether it comes with X or not, though. of course, i forget if it even is available anymore... it may have been fazed out. if it has, small slackware install++.
 
It has a hard drive, and I don't mind wiping, so I'm formatting the drive right now .........wait......wait.....wait......

Otherwise, I'll go back to the Orginial 98 disks.... kinda boring. I haven't used any version of Unix since the late 80's.


edit: for crappy grammer.
 
I'm loading the kernel, but it didn't have a module for my 3c589 3com NIC. Is this something I can fix later?
 
Hito Bahadur said:
I'm loading the kernel, but it didn't have a module for my 3c589 3com NIC. Is this something I can fix later?

probably. I'd google linux and 3c589 and you'll probably get a driver.
 
Back
Top