Recommended motherboard for Q6600?

DusanV

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I'm about to build a new system for me. I'm thinking about the Q6600. What motherboard should I get? I don't care about SLI/Crossfire right now but that may change. What overclocks/underclocks (that machine will be underclocked later in its life) better? Should I get DDR2 or DDR3 (still expensive)? PCIe v2 is also better to have than not.

Any wisdom is very welcome.

TIA.

how much you willing to spend? if youre not running SLI or crossfire youre probably looking for under 100

Abit ip35
Gigabyte ds3r

Up to $200 but I'd expect to be able to Crossfire for that much. Thanks.

Well I have an Abit IP35 Pro with teh Q6600, and I'm running it at 3.4GHz, so thats pretty awesome. Its a really nice board, and its easy to set up and simple or overclock, and lots of other nice features. I would go for it if you arent looking for SLi

I guess SLI only works on Nvidia boards. IP35 is looking good but it's a bit pricey (and I don't care for FireWire).

If you want to be able to use Crossfire the x38 is an option, although it pricey, it supports pci-e 2.0 that can/could be used later on once it becomes big. If you are willing to try Nvidia; the nforce680i is a good performance board. If you don't believe you are going to use two GPU's in Crossfire or SLI, I'd suggest sticking with the P35.

i heard that dfi p35 is a solid performer if you dont mind about the crossfire

OK, so P35 it is. Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L seems pretty good for $99.
abit IP35-E is $60 after rebate at Newegg.
There's nothing between them feature/performance wise but the DS3L uses a narrow PCB.

I've got a q6600 on a GA-p35-ds3l cooled by the ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 HSF running at 3.4ghz and is chillin the 30's. Good board for the price and easy OC. Using 4GB of the G.Skill PC2-8000.

Back