recommended max voltage for Venice cores?

SKYY

2[H]4U
What's the generally accepted max voltage for a Venice core? I'm of the old Northwood P4 regime, where more than 1.6V caused CPU failures from electromigration. Is this still a problem in modern chips, especially non-Intel ones?

Also--my RAM is pretty generic (Twinmos PC3200). It's rated at 2.6V, but what's the max acceptable voltage for DDR these days? I seem to have read about people using extremely high vdimms (3.3V+), and I'm wondering if this voltage is generally accepted as safe.

people are hitting 2700 at less than 2.55 so you dont need to go over that really.

BeeIzebub said:
people are hitting 2700 at less than 2.55 so you dont need to go over that really.
I really don't agree with this generalization. #1 different chips need different amounts of juice to hit different speeds. My cpu will not do 2.7 at 1.55, (I assume you meant this, and not 2.5), but it will do 2.88 at 1.75.

I wish I could give you an answer as I asked the same question (I'm running a lab chiller and >1.7 vcores have helped). I haven't recieved a good answer to be truthful. Some will throw out 1.65, others 1.75, some claim 1.75 will kill the cpu/cause migration quickly no matter what kind of cooling, some say 1.8 volts. There are a ton of opinions, and no real info. I think the problem is that most people overclocking don't see much benefit from vcores above 1.6volts, and thus consider anything "out of the norm" to be dangerous, or respond with a bunch of opinions that have no real data. I really wish someone could point to a certain vcore and some sort of data, even if it is a bunch of user results with migration or dead chips at a higher vcore.

My comparison would be to earlier tbird cpus which 2.0-2.2 was the general 'red zone', I don't feel there is a clearly established 'red zone' for these processors yet.

The high vdimms are for winbond memories (bh-5, utt, ch-5 etc) that are on non-jdec pcbs. They respond very well to voltage, and run tight 2 timings at 250+ mhz. If you don't have this kind of memory, odds are that 3.2 vdimm will kill your ram. On another note, twinmos SP (speed premium) is winbond, not sure if this is what you have though.

I was running my 3000+ (Venice core) at just over 1.7V for almost 2 weeks. No problems at all. Not I dropped the vcore down to 1.52v but there were never any horrific occurances @ 1.71V.

I wasn't very comfortable running my cpu at anything over 1.7V. Btw, I have air cooling, very good air cooling, but its nothing like a great water or chill setup.

For memory, I personally would never go over 3.2V unless I knew the ram could take it. I have my ram running a 3.1V right now, but it's OCZ Platinum and its running at 265x2.

With generic ram, 3V would prolly be the max I would take it.

Of course all these numbers are just gut feelings after reading numerous other peoples experiences at certain voltages.

i'd personally stop at 1.6v on a 90nm a64, but i'm relatively conservative with my voltage. there's better ways to get the clock speed up than mindlessly bumping up voltage ;)

Back