Recommended Level in Oblivion

Xeero

Gawd
i've been doing some reading around, and because of the scaling enemies according to your level, many said that you want to max out your stats ASAP, while keeping your level as low as possible.

how true is this? according to a couple of guides, it is possible to get a max of 100 in each stat around mid 30.

so, how come i still see people with lvl 40's and stuff?

It just depends how much you use that skill I believe. Im level 9 and have a sneak skill of 70. The level scaling is starting to take a toll on me though. Im level 9 and it is becoming a bitch to kill things and people.

Dont worry, once you get to the higher levels, you own everything, as long as you increase the right skills. For example, Im only on level 15, with my blade skill in the 70's, There are 2 things I cant kill easily, gaurds and these crazy oblivion things with big claws. The rest is no problem.

The level scaling has not effected me at all. I wouldnt worry about it.

Yeah I wouldn't sorry too much about the scaling, just carefully decided which attributes/skills to focus on. I am going to hold off a long time on one of those scaling mods.

L1ght said:
Dont worry, once you get to the higher levels, you own everything, as long as you increase the right skills. For example, Im only on level 15, with my blade skill in the 70's, There are 2 things I cant kill easily, gaurds and these crazy oblivion things with big claws. The rest is no problem.

The level scaling has not effected me at all. I wouldnt worry about it.

Mind if I ask what class you are?

I'm a thief and having a bitch of a time.

I'm level 35 and have all but two of my primary skill at 100 or higher, and all attributes except personality and luck at 100.

How do I raise my sneak easilly? Everyone always sees me even though I'm wearing light armor.

Go into some house at night......go into sneak mode, hit q, and then meander until the sun comes up.

I'm an assassin and it's not exactly easy to kill stuff, sort of wish I had chosen a "tougher" class. Smashing people's head in with a hammer looks intriguing.

I started the game as a thief class too, and it was a bitch to get started. The first couple oblivion gates I closed took probably a half hour or so, because I was killing everything in sight. I got frustrated and did a bunch of side quests, and eventually got my stats up. I also must have really improved endurance (or whatever the stat is that determines speed), because I could outrun just about everything in the game. Well, I went back to the gates, and just blew by everything in sight (cowardly, I know). Ran right up to the top, and grabbed the sigil stone and that was it. I mean, that's what Garrett from the Thief series would have done, right? Closed just about every gate in like 5-6 mins, exept for that natural disasters realm. that was a tough one.

Danly said:
I started the game as a thief class too, and it was a bitch to get started. The first couple oblivion gates I closed took probably a half hour or so, because I was killing everything in sight. I got frustrated and did a bunch of side quests, and eventually got my stats up. I also must have really improved endurance (or whatever the stat is that determines speed), because I could outrun just about everything in the game. Well, I went back to the gates, and just blew by everything in sight (cowardly, I know). Ran right up to the top, and grabbed the sigil stone and that was it. I mean, that's what Garrett from the Thief series would have done, right? Closed just about every gate in like 5-6 mins, exept for that natural disasters realm. that was a tough one.

T3 was so much fun.

Hahahahaha....is kind of funny. I am a master theif and assisin with an invisibility and night-eye spells. With those combo, I can literally walk into ANY caves, tombs, and Oblivion gates undetected. Nowadays, I don't HAVE to kill as much. If I do, I do it at a distance with my bow and arrows. With skill 70 Journeyman marksmanship, I can kill a 20lvl mage with 3 shots. I can also travel openly worry-free with my invisibility spell. Is good for finding new locations without worrying about confronting another trolls and bears. Those are a bitch to kill. :D

Danly said:

Danly said:

That IS what Garrett would have done. Therefore, it is ok. :)

I am level 5 and I have most of my skills in the 70's.. Sneak is about 135 or so I can sneak in broad daylight.

I kill most things in 3 hits or less. Mages go down in one shot. I also use Alchemy extensively.. My best weapon is a Silver Bow. :p I also get killed in one hit. Make a real challange playing the game..

maybe I'm little too anal about this ,but I consider not leveling up when possible cheating :)

I level up when I can, not because I want to, but because it seems that's what Bethesda would want you to do and hopefully it will lead to good challengine gameplay throughout the game, I'm 16 hours into the game and level 6 so far.

If it took two or three hits to kill anything out there like mentioned above I'd be somewhat bored with the game.

A lot of it depends on what your major skills are. Those are the ones that will give you a level-up when you increase them.
You could theoretically choose major stats that are all difficult or time consuming to improve. As a resutlt you could have quite a few stats maxed out and be under level 10.
For instance, sneak is EASY to improve. Just walk into a dark cave with enemies - find a dark corner and "prop" your keyboad or Xbox (rubber band worked for me) controller to have you sneak into a wall endlessly. Walk away and come back every 2-3 hours to acknowledge that you've become a journeyman, expert, etc. and you can max out sneak at level 1.
There are typically spells in most diciplines that take less than 10 mp's and can be repeated all day. You can just rig up a keyboard macro to cast some spells over and over again with a slight delay so you can regen your magic. An auto-fire Xbox controller would do the same thing.
If you really wanted to mess with the system, you could max out a LOT of stats at a low level.
I'm a Rogue and it's become pretty tough for me to level up.
I'm at level 33 and my blade, light armor, illusion, & block are all capped. I'm stuck buying and selling the same items over and over, running around the map, and making potions over and over again to level up now. Because I tended to use my main abilities so often, it made leveling up easy for a while, but now it's a PAIN.
If I were going to do it again, I'd make my main stats the ones that are easily controllable, but not nearly so tedious.
At the same time - the game IS pretty easy now so I really don't even need to level up. Once your blade/armor/block are maxed you can kill anything without much trouble.

Just so I don't add another thread, I want to ask a similar question. Do items also scale with level? I am under the impression they do because all the random boring bandit caves use to only have iron and fur crap but then they started upping to dwarven and elven stuff. Would it be better to get a really high level before attempting any of the oblivion gates so that the items will be much better? Also, whenever I stumble over a locked chest in a dungeon, I am always in a dilemma whether to open it or not, or save it for later when I am higher level and come back to the dungeon. I am tempted to just not go into any dungeons at all and instead just level from the local wildlife outside to a high level before going into any of the dungeons for fear I will waste the chance for good loot.

Loot regenerates. I've looted Fort Wooden Hand (just west of the Imperial City) hundreds of times.
Enemies and equipment scale. I know you'll start seeing Elven/Ebony at the same time around level 8-10 and Glass/Daedric around 15-20. I'd have no worries about equipment. Once you hit level 20, every human enemy will be stocked with the best stuff available. Last night I must've left 15 Daedric Cuirasses laying on the ground just because I can't carry 'em.

Domingo said:
. Just walk into a dark cave with enemies - find a dark corner and "prop" your keyboad or Xbox (rubber band worked for me) controller to have you sneak into a wall endlessly. .

Yeah that's not cheating at all :rolleyes: :D

so as long as your major skills don't hit 100, it is possible to level up your stats infinitely?

As far as I know - you can keep levelling things up until they hit 100. That applies to your stats (like strength, speed, etc.) and your skills. That doesn't include any equipment boosts, though. So if your stats are green, take off your armor and see where you're actually at.
I think most people "cap" (ie. can't improve anything any more) around level 40-50.
For me I'm not capped - but I might as well be. I'm at level 37 and the only 2 core skills I have that aren't capped are mercantile (useless and time consuming), and alchemy (not useless, but time consuming). I can still level up some "minor" skills like archery and some of the magic skills...but my level gaining days are over unless I get really bored and feel like buying and selling garbage or making a lot of potions.

Another question on whether loot regenerates - Do items out in the open (not in a chest) regenerate after a while?

Back