Recommended Case - putting in cabinet?

hipsterdoofus

Limp Gawd
I have an old case that was used in on a TV entertainment center open faced cabinet for some time but I'm looking to transfer the HTPC as well as some other home network components into a cabinet.

So my first question is - are there recommendations for a case for an ATX Mobo and...I think I have 3 drives. I believe the cabinet is 15" or so deep max but is quite a bit wider. I looked and saw a few cases out there but figured you all have a lot of expertise so you could give recommendations.

Second question - I'm definitely going to have holes in the back of the cabinet for cabling. Besides the HTPC, I expect to have maybe my cable modem & wireless router & a switch, plus we were hoping to use the cabinet for a charging area for phones. Should I plan for ventilation now, or just see how things go as I add components in? And if I need some ventilation, any suggestions?

Thanks.

Ive had various Silverstone cases in their HTPC series (GD05 for example) that are absolutely wonderful to build in and have pretty solid airflow in a entertainment console/cabinet - some of the bigger models may be too deep for you but definitely take a look at them.

ETA - I never had to do any airflow outside of the case like additional fans or anything, and I was rocking an OCd 980to and i73770K for two or so years before moving everything to a rack in the basement, i wouldnt worry about heat outside of the case as long as its not too enclosed

Ive had various Silverstone cases in their HTPC series (GD05 for example) that are absolutely wonderful to build in and have pretty solid airflow in a entertainment console/cabinet - some of the bigger models may be too deep for you but definitely take a look at them.

ETA - I never had to do any airflow outside of the case like additional fans or anything, and I was rocking an OCd 980to and i73770K for two or so years before moving everything to a rack in the basement, i wouldnt worry about heat outside of the case as long as its not too enclosed
Thank you for the reply. Yeah the cabinet is not SUPER air tight. The doors on it don't shut together completely, so there's a bit of a gap. I do plan on having my cable modem, wireless router, and switch in there, but we are also hoping to make it a "charging" hub for our devices. I suppose we could just set that all up and see. It looks like there are some really affordable cabinet fans if I need to go that route. I think though that I may need a thermometer to put in there to monitor it if i decide to not put any airflow it it to start off.

Back