• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Recommendations

Joined
Sep 1, 2009
Messages
7
Trying to get an a/v rig set up for my dorm room.
Looking to purchase a second monitor (have a laptop) for use as a tv and to view movies/television shows on. Would like to spend ~200 but will go a bit higher if the price/quality point merits it.

Requirements:
-Preferably 23” or greater
-HDMI in
-Sharpness of image is priority
-Must have tilt as the monitor will be placed up high
-Fast enough response time for games/xbox
-16:9 resolution as most web surfing/text editing will be done on laptop monitor
-Would prefer to pricematch/pickup from bestbuy or circuit city so as to avoid dead pixels.
-Vesa mount would be nice, the dorm room is small and I may need to get a new mount.

Currently looking at:

Dell 2209WA
This monitor is smaller than I would like, is 16:10 and probably a little beyond what I would like to spend (10% coupon no longer works)

Acer H233hbmid
Only possible problems I can see with this monitor (or the 24) are the lack of viewing angles and possible color issues. Would like to hear opinions about this considering the uses for the monitor.

Samsung F2380
No HDMI

Samsung 2343BWX
Doesn’t tilt to angle down and doesn’t seem to have vesa mount

ASUS VK246H/VH242H
Really seems like the best given my requirements (has a vesa mount)
Only problem is that I’d have to get it from newegg and risk dead pixels
 
F2380 is way out of your price range. Samsung says that 2343BWX has VESA mount. TN panels would be horrible if you see it from below (which seems to be your plan). That rules out everything but the 2209WA.

My suggestion is get the 2209WA, or change your monitor placement plan so that you don't have to see it from below. If you are worried about bad pixels, get a Dell monitor. Dell has good monitor warranty.

And be patient. Monitor deals of all kinds tend to reappear every two weeks. Take your time and do some research. No need to hurry.
 
I was hoping I could tilt the monitor enough so that high placement wouldn't be a problem (ergotron stand or regular).
I'm really worried about the 2209.
Non standard resolution
No HDMI
Smaller screen
I know that IPS is a better technology but, considering my needs, is it really appropriate?

Also, will be viewing the monitor from couch, and not at desk.
 
To be clear I'm not outright dismissing the 2209wa, I just want to make the most informed decision possible.

I plan on connecting the monitor to my laptop via hdmi in order to watch movies and potentially play older games.

Now, I could see a friend dropping by with an xbox, but I'm starting to wonder if I should specifically plan for that. The key here is the ability to lie in bed while watching a movie or television show on the monitor. Also, my laptop has a bluray drive and i'm really looking for something able to take full advantage of 1080p.
 
1680x1050 is a standard, and very common, computer monitor resolution, and I am sure your laptop will work with that resolution. Modern video cards can easily accommodate all kinds of resolution, so even the 2048x1152 resolution (which is nonstandard) of the 2343BWX will not be a particular problem.

I recommended 2209WA only because it sounds like you will be viewing the monitor from below. If you can avoid that, then any of the aforementioned monitor are fine. I am pretty sure they all support HDCP, and the lack of HDMI is easily addressed with a $8 cable from monoprice.

Make sure you won't be viewing your TN monitor from below when you lie in bed or what not -- this will have the greatest influence on perceived image quality. This is important -- more important than BluRay and 1080p.
 
The issue with nonstandard resolutions stems from a fear of clarity loss when viewing 1080P subject matter. Is this concern unfounded?
 
Compared to 1680x1050, 1920x1080 has only 14% additional horizontal resolution. So you won't lose much going with 2209WA.

OTOH, any additional resolution is nice, and unless you are viewing from below, I feel that the benefits of the IPS viewing angle is somewhat exaggerated. So now that I know more about your situation, I really do not have a definite recommendation either way.
 
I bit on the 2209wa for fear that the 20% coupon would expire at midnight (really can't justify spending 300 on a monitor). Will look for more information tomorrow and cancel the order if necessary. I think I may end up keeping the monitor, though, as i've noticed that even on my laptop's lcd screen, i have to adjust the monitor when viewing things. As i will be sitting on a bed that will be substantially lower than the lcd, I feel your initial recommendation was a sound one (especially when one considers the additional cost of a stand and the hassle of constantly adjusting it). Thanks for your help.
 
How much did you end up getting it for? A $200 IPS would be a good deal, but I thought even the 22"ers ran more. The dell website posted it as $290.
 
Back
Top