Recommendations on high DIMM count DDR3 server board?

Smoblikat

Limp Gawd
Hello, I just upgraded my dual X5650 server to dual X5680's and 144gb RAM (super excited!) and im already going to spend too much money again carefully budgeting my necessary expenses. As far as CPUs go I am pretty much maxed out, but I have a mix of 8 and 16gb DIMMs, so I may purchase another 6X16gb to get 192. My problem is the board I am using only has 12 DIMM slots (supermicro X8DT something........similar to this one but with all X16 PCIe slots), which may be a limit for me unless I move to 32gb DIMMs. At this point im buying a new board anyway to accommodate more RAM, so it might make sense to finally jump ship to LGA 2011V2, which is the last gen to support DDR3 IIRC. Per core performance and overall number of cores is fine for my uses currently with the 5680s, but more would be better, and a pair of 2687W V2's does sound pretty slick :D

Are there any Dual 2011 boards that support more than 2 DIMMs per channel? It seems most boards would max out at 16 DIMMs, as opposed to 1366 which can be found with up to 18 (3 channels, 3 DIMMs per channel). If I can find a board that does quad channel w/ 3 DIMMs per channel I would definitely go that route, otherwise I would just assume stick with buying an 18 DIMM 1366 board and put the money into 32gb DIMMs.

Im also on the hunt for a decently priced 2990WX, which would make all of these old Xeon/DDR3 problems go away :p

Actually I just remembered why I dropped down to 12 DIMMs in the first place, I cant really fit bigger than a 12" X 13" board in my case :(

I had this thing:
https://www.tyan.com/Motherboards_S7012_S7012GM4NR

It fit and had 18 DIMMs, but it was kind of garbage.......and I wanted a good brand for the new board, so I went supermicro. Looks like a 16 DIMM 2011 board might be my best option now, as I dont think there are any 18 DIMM 1366 boards that fit (and dont suck). Is supermicro still a good brand for the mobo?

EDIT - Found a good deal on a SuperMicro X9DRI-F and went for it, I upgraded to the 5680s less than 12 hours ago and theyve already been replaced lol (I had them sitting in storage doing nothing)

Last edited:
Actually I just remembered why I dropped down to 12 DIMMs in the first place, I cant really fit bigger than a 12" X 13" board in my case :(

I had this thing:
https://www.tyan.com/Motherboards_S7012_S7012GM4NR

It fit and had 18 DIMMs, but it was kind of garbage.......and I wanted a good brand for the new board, so I went supermicro. Looks like a 16 DIMM 2011 board might be my best option now, as I dont think there are any 18 DIMM 1366 boards that fit (and dont suck). Is supermicro still a good brand for the mobo?

EDIT - Found a good deal on a SuperMicro X9DRI-F and went for it, I upgraded to the 5680s less than 12 hours ago and theyve already been replaced lol (I had them sitting in storage doing nothing)

Yeah, high dimm-count boards have to be pretty dang large to fit everything plus expansion and are usually geared towards rackmount or OEM-specific cases, anyway. But at the least, with 16 slots and newer chips supporting 64GB sticks, you should still be able to have plenty of memory.

Supermicro is a fine pick for boards.

Just out of curiosity, what is your ideal memory amount for your use?

Yeah, high dimm-count boards have to be pretty dang large to fit everything plus expansion and are usually geared towards rackmount or OEM-specific cases, anyway. But at the least, with 16 slots and newer chips supporting 64GB sticks, you should still be able to have plenty of memory.

Supermicro is a fine pick for boards.

Just out of curiosity, what is your ideal memory amount for your use?

I would be happy with 256gb memory, this is for my main server at home that I use for most of my testing/server hosting. Most of the RAM goes to Ark servers, even a 5 map cluster for 2 people can idle at 40+gb on its own pretty easily, but I run other services off of it too. I might have gone a tad too [H]ard though, I bought a pair of 2690V2's and an extra 48gb of RAM to get me started on the new board :D

20C/40T and 192gb RAM should be plenty for now!

I would be happy with 256gb memory, this is for my main server at home that I use for most of my testing/server hosting. Most of the RAM goes to Ark servers, even a 5 map cluster for 2 people can idle at 40+gb on its own pretty easily, but I run other services off of it too. I might have gone a tad too [H]ard though, I bought a pair of 2690V2's and an extra 48gb of RAM to get me started on the new board :D

20C/40T and 192gb RAM should be plenty for now!
You haven't gone [H]ard until you've gotten the 2697v2's and I see a WTB thread begging for cheap 64GB LRDIMMS. ;)

Regardless, that is a sweet rig for you. Congrats!

Back