Recommendations on HDD cooling?

c1001

Gawd
I am worried that my HDDs (Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 200gig SATA) aren't getting enough cooling from the front case fan (Thermaltake Tsunami) as they feel pretty warm. Any recommendations on an effective HDD cooler that will mount in the 3.5in HDD mount? I tried the Ultra-thin Exhauster:
http://64.69.222.92/Details.asp?cid=39&id=772
but it is too thick to fit in a slot and have the mounting screw holes align.

Any issues if I mount the HDDs upside down?

i wouldnt worry about it too much... as long as you dont burn yourself on them there fine
what killed my original barricuda was spinning it down.. i had to set tp spin it down after 3 minutes or somthing like that and windows would spin it down and then right back up.. eventualy the drive stopped working.. after the rma came back i set it to never spin them down.. they stay spinning 24/7 now still working fine.. no excuse for not making backups tho.... but anyway if they die seagates warrenty covers it

Unless you have the HDD in the upper 3.5" bay (behind the floppy drive cutout), you won't see any additional cooling effect. For one, I can't see the 120mm fan not being able to cool a drive better than that cooler you linked to. It really depends on how many drives you have, too.

The main problem with HDD's is that the hottest part - the aluminum 'case' - is covered up by the drive rails and the PCB. Also, most people consider a 90F degree surface to be warm to hot, but drives are made to sustain 45C (113F, typical hot faucet water) for a long time. Until 15k EIDE drive become common (read: baseline Dell model), there won't be many HDD deaths due to heat. As far as mounting them upside down, I've not personally heard anyone complain that their upside-down or sideways mounted drives died, let alone have any problems.

c1001 said:
Any issues if I mount the HDDs upside down?
i dont remember where, but i read that you should not mount hard drives upside down. i'll see if i can find a link on that for ya.

ewarz said:
i dont remember where, but i read that you should not mount hard drives upside down. i'll see if i can find a link on that for ya.
old drives had issues with mounting them.. the newer ones dont care how there mounted.. the issue was that you had to re-format the drive if you change the direction its mounted

Back