Recommendations of a good SSD????

asguitarplaya

Limp Gawd
So I'm still running a 7200 rpm mechanical drive for my rig.
Want to upgrade to a SSD, but not sure what are some good yet inexpensive ones to get?

Any advice would help :)

Crucial M4 256 GB can be had for around $160 on sale.

I concur with this. This drive seems to be the best bang for the buck at the moment. It was $159 at the egg but that expired last night. I believe its on Amazon for $169. And I would also agree about the 256GB size. I started off with 128GB and now I want to move up. Sometimes its better just to make that jump in the beginning even if it costs a tad extra. Its a storage device, chances are you're going to use it. Its not like debating a buying a more powerful cpu where you might never utilize that extra performance.

I agree that $160-$170 for a 256GB Crucial m4 is a good value.

But note that Crucial is soon releasing a new model. The new model is unlikely to be significantly better than the m4, but I just wanted to point it out because I know some people are disappointed if they buy something and then a new model comes out a week later.

Another good value is the 250GB Samsung 840, which can be had for $166 at the moment:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/897035-REG/Samsung_MZ_7TD250BW_250GB_840_Series_2_5_.html

I agree that $160-$170 for a 256GB Crucial m4 is a good value.

But note that Crucial is soon releasing a new model. The new model is unlikely to be significantly better than the m4, but I just wanted to point it out because I know some people are disappointed if they buy something and then a new model comes out a week later.

Another good value is the 250GB Samsung 840, which can be had for $166 at the moment:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/897035-REG/Samsung_MZ_7TD250BW_250GB_840_Series_2_5_.html

True, but buying a SSD the week it comes out is a horrible idea. Every SSD i've bought on release day has had mandatory firmware updates to keep the drives from bricking and was a huge pain in the ass to patch them all. Sometimes even requiring me to put them in very specific motherboards for the FW flash to work.

Back