Recommendations for the $300 range

choppedliver

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I am looking to replace my OS hard drive. I
can get by with a 256G if I have to, but would prefer something around 500G. My current OS drive is 500G and I can use it for data and the new SSD for os.

I was looking at the Crucial m5 480GB which is still a little more than i want to spend and it seems performance is a mixed bag, and since this is my OS , I'd like great performance low price. Also heard ADATA was pretty good until I started reading reviews and now I'm confused as hell at what is actually shipping with all the changes to firmware controller memory type, etc. WTF ? Seems they should just scrap it and come out with a new name for a new product. Anyway, Capacity can be secondary in importance since I do have my old spinner hd. Also have a ext-sata 1 terabyte raid 1 that I leave off most off 99% of the time , it's only for occasional archival backups.

Order of importance:

Price
Performance
Capacity

or maybe

Performance
Price
Capacity

Thanks for your input!

If you want cheap and big ssd and you find Crucial M500 480gb $383 to expensive, consider Samsung 840 500gb $320.

If you were willing to compromise on the space, and get by 256gb, then consider Samsung 840pro 256gb $230.

There is also the upcoming 840 EVO, thats getting good reviews, so if you could wait i would probably go with Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 500GB $370.

I would wait even if you dont go with the EVO, this might make Crucial drop its prices some.

In all honesty, i would probably just go with the 840 (none pro) and save $$$, Sata Express should come in the next two years, so hole new line of ssds will be out by then.... the 840 should last much more than that even if its TLC nad, by then move to skylake and get the best sata express ssd.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Abula basically hit on what I've finding for friends recently. My research has had me recommending the 840 for people looking to save $, and the 840 Pro to those with some money to burn.

Back