Recommendations for streaming to Samsung SMART TV

BlackDragon24

Limp Gawd
Hello all,

I'm setting up a new computer for my sister based around an AMD 5800K Trinity CPU and an MSI FM2-A85XA-G65 Motherboard. The main purpose of this post is to determine the best way for her to view movies from her computer on her 55" Samsung LED TV while maintaining the ability to FF, RW, and resume play. Apparently this is a major problem with many Samsung SMART TV's when trying to stream content across a DLNA server. However, the TV has no problem FF, RW, and resuming from an external flash drive or hard drive source.

So DLNA is pretty much out...unless someone has a suggestion. I have tried Windows Media Player, Serviio, and Samsung's own Allshare with no success.

So there are two options, as I see them:

1) Connect the computer to the TV directly as a monitor via HDMI - they are close enough together (10 ft) to do this, just need to order a cable. Will this allow her to use her basic 22" LCD monitor (connected by DVI) as her computer monitor and the 55" TV as her movie viewing monitor? How exactly would that work out since the 22" LCD is running 1680x1050 and the 55" TV is running 1080p?

2) Keep an external hard drive plugged into the TV permanently. This is the way she has been doing things for awhile, but we would like to make it a helluva lot more convenient. Ideally it would be nice if she didn't have to unplug cables every time she wants to add something to the hard drive to view on her TV.

Then there is the final...final question. What would happen if I got an appropriate USB cable and just hooked the computer directly to the TV....would the TV recognize the computer like it would a regular external hard drive?

Sorry for the 1st post overload. Lots of questions. This was very easy to do with my Panasonic Plasma and Serviio. Proving to be a bit more difficult with the Samsung.

Another option might be to connect the TV to your network if it has an ethernet connection on it. If so it might be possible to simply share the files from the PC to the TV and then it should work just like it did from the USB hdd.

Otherwise hooking up the TV via HDMI is feasible. You would simply make the TV the secondary monitor and then drag the movie application over to the TV screen. However this may not allow you to FF/RW as easily unless you simply use the computer mouse/keyboard to do it.

I do not believe that you will find a cable that will allow such communication over USB from the TV to PC. If you still want to try this, you should look for one of the Microsoft (or generic) PC transfer cables. These are designed to connect two PCs together for sharing purposes.

I do not believe that you will find a cable that will allow such communication over USB from the TV to PC. If you still want to try this, you should look for one of the Microsoft (or generic) PC transfer cables. These are designed to connect two PCs together for sharing purposes.

You can, however get a USB/HDMI CEC adapter, that will let your TV use CEC to communicate to the PC as another input device. Which would let you play/ff/rew/etc. Of course you'd have to get up to change the video, or just use xbmc for videos.

Get her a WDTV live off of ebay for $60. That should solve your playback problems.

Another option might be to connect the TV to your network if it has an ethernet connection on it. If so it might be possible to simply share the files from the PC to the TV and then it should work just like it did from the USB hdd.

Otherwise hooking up the TV via HDMI is feasible. You would simply make the TV the secondary monitor and then drag the movie application over to the TV screen. However this may not allow you to FF/RW as easily unless you simply use the computer mouse/keyboard to do it.

You can, however get a USB/HDMI CEC adapter, that will let your TV use CEC to communicate to the PC as another input device. Which would let you play/ff/rew/etc. Of course you'd have to get up to change the video, or just use xbmc for videos.

Get her a WDTV live off of ebay for $60. That should solve your playback problems.

Thank you for the replies gentlemen.

Back