Recommendations for smaller screwdriver set?

waderunner

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking for recommendations for a small screwdriver set for use on electronics and gadgets. Similar to this this (exmple selected somewhat at random), with a variety of bit types.

Any thoughts appreciated, based on balance of price (maybe up to $35) and quality.

My experience with small, cheaper screwdrivers is that the tips often get bent out of shape pretty quickly. But higher price doesn't always equate to quality. So hoping someone can offer some positive firsthand experiences with specific sets.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Haven't used it myself but something I would look at considering their reputation and lifetime warranty:

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Parts/64-Bit-Driver-Kit/IF145-299-1

Extremely overpriced IMO.

I use a nice Cobalt kit from Lowes. Lifetime warranty. I bought a set that also included security bits and an extension. I do not see it listed on their site at the moment.

Paid about $12 for it. Been using it for years.

Here is a similar set without the security bits. $5 at my local store. I can personally say this is worth every penny. And has a lifetime warranty!

there is a lot to be said for having a box. I wind up having the shit go everywhere....

I have a set very similar to the one you listed:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0YHGCR1JS9H5EQVX9ZRW

I bought mine for more than what this link shows, back when NewEggFlash had it. I think it's a decent set, but I admit I haven't used it a ton. It has some unique tips (yours has a lot more), the handle is metal and extends, and the spudgers and suction cup could come in handy on phones and tablets.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Given the price point I'd say stick to harbor freight kits and replace them when they die. Especially if you're only occasionally using the really tiny bits the harbor freight stuff is plenty good for occasional use, and when you factor in the price it's tough to beat.

Once you get tired of having oodles of bits you never use and a handful of worn out bits you use all the time, I can heartily recommend spending the extra cash on WIHA sets. I broke down and bought one of their big kits (the cheapest way to get their pentalobe bits - I repair macbooks as a "hobby" for myself and relatives) and don't regret spending the $80 it cost. It's got all the bits I need for electronics repair, a nice compact case, and unlike the cheap tiny torx or pentalobe bits I've used, they last. If you've ever replaced a battery in an iPhone with a cheap P1 bit you've probably noticed they bend after removing and replacing two or three screws with any kind of threadlocker - not so with the wiha, I've done three macbooks with the P5 bit so far and it's still in perfect shape.

A compromise might be to identify the one or two bits you use most and get individual WIHA or felo screwdrivers to handle those plus the harbor freight kit for all the others you need once in a blue moon.

I've bought a few Wiha tools for specific jobs (for a car ignition switch) ... really great quality. I'd recommend those as well!

I can vouch for wiha at work, I use a couple as my daily use tools and I got the 30pc boxer set from amazon (under $20). Has philips, pozi, hex, and torx.

If you work on macs a lot, I wouldn't screw around with cheap sets.

Thanks, everyone. I bought a couple of small Kobalt sets when I drove by there this week. One set of bits, and a set of dedicated drivers.

Though, I did add that 50 piece wiha set to my Amazon wish list, for future reference :) (Though, not likely I'll need a professional $200 set of drivers any time soon... )

Back