Recommendations for sas/sata hba

kirlcheah

n00b
Hi,

I currently need some recommendations for my home setup. I have bought some QLE 2460 on cheap and planning to build a SAN.

PC 1 - Primary SAN
Core 2 Duo E5400
Asus P5E WS Pro
2 X 2 GB Corsair DDR2
QLE 2460
LSI 9650-SE-8LPMPL with BBU connecting
4 X 1 TB in raid 5
4 X 500 GB in raid 10.
Planning to use Openfiler.

Will it be a waste that I insert the Qlogic 2460 into this box and get enough juice from the hard disk? As the Qlogic can pump up to 750MB/s throughput, will it be a waste and instead use the built in 2 X Marvel chipset built in and run it as bonded interface?
As the raid 5 will be primary used as a backup and raid 10 will be used for my vm's. Would it be a waste? If it's a waste, I might as well run it as ISCSI for my 2008 R2 for my vm's.

I have bought a rack mount case that is almost like the norco 4220. But it's with mini sas connectors. It can hold 24 hard disk hot swap.
Question is, what card should I buy for the 24 hard disk if I am planning to run it in zfs using either OpenIndiana / Freenas 8? I also plan to use a QLE 2460 inside it. Would OpenIndiana / Freenas 8 works with QLE 2460? I googled a lot but most of the guys are using QLE 2300 series and could not find anything suitable and hence the questions.
I have not buy yet the motherboards and still waiting for some recommendations. As read on a lot of forums, they are recommending LSI 1068E cards or SAS 2008 cards. I am still currently deciding. As this would be used in my house, I am not looking in extreme performance, but rather looking for the best bang for my buck. I have bought a dual QLE 2462 dual port FC as I plan to use it as point to point for both my SAN. Would this worth it?
As I am still learning, please be kind on me with your words....

Thank you all for reading and hope that you guys can recommend me some SAS cards for my 24 unit server.

I don't understand what you are trying to do with SAN.
What will be connecting to your FC SAN?

You will only get gigabit speeds from any single client computer.

Using the fc cards, you could exceed that, and get about 3gbit speed (if your using 4gb fc on both ends).

Is it worth it? no one but you can answer that. Is moving files over gigabit taking too long for you? and a 3x speedup will improve your quality of life?

Qle2462 in the storage end will give you 2 x point to point outlets,
Which means you can connect 2 other computers to it via the qle2460's

You will get max 440mb/s thruput....

Open solaris etc will be your easiest and fastest to setup as the San.

Might help you
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=971190

Oh and I just got myself some qle2460's as well, I believe the trick to them is replace the qle driver with the qlt driver which enables target mode.

Last edited:
Where did you get that from (QLE-2460) ? Would like to get a couple of that as well..

Hi,

I currently need some recommendations for my home setup. I have bought some QLE 2460 on cheap and planning to build a SAN.

PC 1 - Primary SAN
Core 2 Duo E5400
Asus P5E WS Pro
2 X 2 GB Corsair DDR2
QLE 2460
LSI 9650-SE-8LPMPL with BBU connecting
4 X 1 TB in raid 5
4 X 500 GB in raid 10.
Planning to use Openfiler.

Will it be a waste that I insert the Qlogic 2460 into this box and get enough juice from the hard disk? As the Qlogic can pump up to 750MB/s throughput, will it be a waste and instead use the built in 2 X Marvel chipset built in and run it as bonded interface?
As the raid 5 will be primary used as a backup and raid 10 will be used for my vm's. Would it be a waste? If it's a waste, I might as well run it as ISCSI for my 2008 R2 for my vm's.

I have bought a rack mount case that is almost like the norco 4220. But it's with mini sas connectors. It can hold 24 hard disk hot swap.
Question is, what card should I buy for the 24 hard disk if I am planning to run it in zfs using either OpenIndiana / Freenas 8? I also plan to use a QLE 2460 inside it. Would OpenIndiana / Freenas 8 works with QLE 2460? I googled a lot but most of the guys are using QLE 2300 series and could not find anything suitable and hence the questions.
I have not buy yet the motherboards and still waiting for some recommendations. As read on a lot of forums, they are recommending LSI 1068E cards or SAS 2008 cards. I am still currently deciding. As this would be used in my house, I am not looking in extreme performance, but rather looking for the best bang for my buck. I have bought a dual QLE 2462 dual port FC as I plan to use it as point to point for both my SAN. Would this worth it?
As I am still learning, please be kind on me with your words....

Thank you all for reading and hope that you guys can recommend me some SAS cards for my 24 unit server.

As for recommendations for your hardware

4gb Ram is the minimum you want is using ZFS
The case you have does it have a sas expander in it?

So we gather you will be after something with SFF-8088 External Minisas connections to hook to the 24bay chassis?

Depending what drives you intend to use now and down the track, depends which controller to aquire... ie if you are happy with up to 2TB max drives, then you can get anything LSI 1086E controller based, else if you need plan on going over 2TB drives, then you will need a controller that supports those.

If going ZFS, then you do not need / want a RAID controller. You need a controller that is whats called a HBA (Host Bus Adapter) that passes plain drives thru.

So if going ZFS lets see

PC 1 - Primary SAN
Core 2 Duo E5400
Asus P5E WS Pro
2 X 2 GB Corsair DDR2 <<< Add more
QLE 2460 << will work
LSI 9650-SE-8LPMPL with BBU connecting << sell me and get another card
4 X 1 TB in raid 5 << fine ZFS similar config is RAIDZ
4 X 500 GB in raid 10. << Fine ZFS config is 2 x MIRRORED VDEVS Pooled together

Back