Recommendations for replacing Nexus 7 screen?

BlueWeasel

Limp Gawd
I've got 2 Nexus 7 tablets with broken screens thanks to my children. Touch controls don't work at all, even though the screen cracks are small and isolated to a single corner.

Are there any online recommendations for replacing the screen? I've called a few local cell phone replacement stores, and their quotes are near the cost for a new tablet.

I'm looking to replace mine also. At this point I would only get the Nvidia tablet now, or wait for the refresh that is suppose to be coming.

Sell them for parts on EBay and buy two used ones. You will be further ahead.

What type of Nexus 7? (Gen 1 or Gen 2, and what capacity)

Replacing the screen is probably not cost effective. You basically have to replace the whole assembly, and the screen is the most expensive part. However if the tablets still work (boot up) you can sell them for parts. Gen 2 Nexus 7's have been having a problem lately with the flash going bad. It bricks them and you need a replacement motherboard to fix it.

I currently have this problem and have been waiting for one with a broken screen to pop up on craigslist so that I can fix mine for cheap. I think broken screen Nexus 7's are selling for around $80 on ebay which is more than I am willing to pay for mine.

I would recommend selling them.

EDIT: If you really want to repair instead of replacing you could look at opposite listings from me:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Google-Nexu...905?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d343995b9

That is someone selling a Nexus 7 tablet that has the bad flash / boot problems. Should have a working screen and will be as simple as taking the screen off of this and putting it on your tablets.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm looking to replace mine also. At this point I would only get the Nvidia tablet now, or wait for the refresh that is suppose to be coming.

The shield is really nice. I'm not in the market for a tablet but as soon as I am, the shield will be my first choice.

Back