recommendations for quiet case.

HRslammR

2[H]4U
I've moved into a smaller home and now my computer occupies the same room that i sleep in. I'm a light sleeper and so i need a pretty quiet room to be able to sleep well. what's the latest recommendations on air cooled quiet cases?

The best way to go is to basically make one yourself. Buy a case you like (one that uses 120mm fans for intake and exhaust) and buy quiet fans, use dynamat, and use things like rubber washers between fans and the case as well as drives and the case. You can also do things like replace the CPU cooler with something that's better at cooling it allowing you to keep the fan at a lower speed and using a video card that has a fanless heatsink.

If you are a light sleeper like me, then you have a problem - there is no case quiet enough. All fans even at 500RPM sounds like turbine, because that's the only noise source in really quiet room needed for light sleeper :D.

I tried to do many things, nothing works... Even the smallest buzz is enough to distract me.

As i said - it depends on ambient sound. If you have a really quiet room, then you have no chance to have a running computer in same room - you will hear it.

I also vouch for the Antec P182. Sans the temporary 80mm I popped in there, can't really hear a thing with all fans set to low. But then again, this is coming from a guy who used to sleep with a Delta 80mm running.

I also vouch for the Antec P182. Sans the temporary 80mm I popped in there, can't really hear a thing with all fans set to low. But then again, this is coming from a guy who used to sleep with a Delta 80mm running.

Wow! :eek: Might as well sleep next to a washing machine or something. I've heard one of those Delta's... and %$#! they are loud

P182 for sure with some noctua or yate loon low speed fans.

It's basically all in the fans and vibration dampening. Another loud component most people overlook is the power supply. Modding it with a quiet fan or getting a good quiet power supply helps.

But if you're going to leave your computer on while you sleep, you're better off moving it out of the room, or building a separate cheap rig and putting it in a different room for whatever activities you need it to carry out around the clock.

Not to be off topic... but what about addressing the cause of your light sleeping issue? Some people that are bothered by quiet sounds (such as fans running) are usually the ones that can go to sleep with soothing music (nothing with a beat / kick drum) at a mid listening volume.

Back