• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Recommendations for maximizing PPD for I7-980x

redoulent

Weaksauce
Joined
Apr 13, 2004
Messages
126
My wife decided to spoil me rotten this year for Christmas. She knew I was gonna bring the big guns out to try and win at least one Christmas in our marriage. White Gold Diamond Bracelet....

So I thought we were done opening presents and was already accepting defeat in the spoiling department... when she says I had one more to open. So I get it open to reveal a brand new I7-980X. I actually teared up. She had found my Amazon wish list and my comment next to the 980X was "DROOOOLLL!!!!"

So I need some recommendations on how best to use it for folding@home. :)

My Christmas spoilings to which I admit defeat to my wonderful wife included:

Intel I7-980X
PNY GTX 580
Logitech G510
Blu-ray writer drive
 
o/c it. f@H big adv units

currently have mine stable at 4.4ghz and have done numerous benchmarks at 4.6ghz. after next 2 big advs drop ill put it at 4.6ghz full time.


and congratz i love the chip.
 
o/c it. f@H big adv units

currently have mine stable at 4.4ghz and have done numerous benchmarks at 4.6ghz. after next 2 big advs drop ill put it at 4.6ghz full time.


and congratz i love the chip.


What vcore are you using for that? Mine goes out-of-spec at >4.15




Congrats Redoulent, that chip is a beast, if you do video encoding, or other Multithreaded CPU tasks, you will really notice a difference!
 
What vcore are you using for that? Mine goes out-of-spec at >4.15




Congrats Redoulent, that chip is a beast, if you do video encoding, or other Multithreaded CPU tasks, you will really notice a difference!

1.28vcore

1.35vcore im stable at 4.6ghz
 
I'm averaging just under 23 minutes per frame on a 6900 WU with my 980X at 4.140 Ghz. Temps are high 60's and low 70's on the cores using an IFX-14 heatsink.

Side question: Since I put my name in the hat for the second computer giveaway do I have to post numbers every day or just look like an active folder. According to my calculations I will not post any WU's today. Plus I'm an avid gamer and this is my only system.

 
o/c it. f@H big adv units.

yeahthat.gif



It's a CPU that can run -bigadv units so it's certainly an option for you. The only other question is whether to Fold on video cards in that box too or try and keep it all to the processor.


I can 2nd the chips ability at video processing / encoding. With DVDFab the CPU alone (software setting) beats a GTX460 (CUDA setting) by about 30 minutes for a 2 hour movie.
 
Side question: Since I put my name in the hat for the second computer giveaway do I have to post numbers every day or just look like an active folder. According to my calculations I will not post any WU's today. Plus I'm an avid gamer and this is my only system.
Even if you don't submit a unit every day, it will still be evident that you are folding consistently. Unless you don't produce anything for a week or something, I'm sure you'll still be in the running.
 
I'm averaging just under 23 minutes per frame on a 6900 WU with my 980X at 4.140 Ghz. Temps are high 60's and low 70's on the cores using an IFX-14 heatsink.

Are you running anything else? What is your RAM speed? I have basically the same overclock (4.16GHz, 160 x 26) and I'm seeing a TPF of 21:08 on a P6900 right now. I was seeing slower TPFs when I was also running the GPU client.
 
My OC is 23x180 which seems a really happy OC in my system. Temps stay just under 70C. My RAM is at 1440 Mhz 8-8-8-24-1T. It was on auto with slower timings. I tried 160x26 and temps just went too high at 82C.

My motherboard is the Gigabyte EX58-UD5. I told Kaspersky AV to not even so much as look at the FAH exe's and that helped a little bit. I have a few other programs and utilites that I run on a regular basis, but I ruled them out as a problem since I ran for 8 hours without them and the frame times didn't budge.

 
pics of wife :D

sounds like a keeper haha, congrats on the 980x and get it folding BigAdv ASAP!
 
Back
Top