Recommendations for Gaming SSD 256GB?

nakedhand

2[H]4U
I am getting very tired of my OZC Vertex 2, that I use for Steam, and I am pretty sure it is getting tired of me. So I was considering Samsung 840 pro, but thought it might be over kill.

Any recommendations for a suitable SSD for this purpose in the slightly cheaper price segment? TRIM is a must.

Any of them that aren't "budget" model like the OCZ Petrol. But I don't think such a class exists at that storage point...yet.

So basically, any of them.

All modern drives support TRIM and also have internal garbage collection that is OS agnostic.

Samsung EVO 250GB is also a good choice or the 240GB Crucial M500.

Any of them that aren't "budget" model like the OCZ Petrol. But I don't think such a class exists at that storage point...yet.

So basically, any of them.

All modern drives support TRIM and also have internal garbage collection that is OS agnostic.

As you can hear I have been away from the SSD market for a good while :) I had already considered the EVO, so I think I am going to make it easy and just get that. Thanks for the tips. :)

The EVO doesn't have any power protection, and i consider it pretty expensive for a TLC SSD; it's not much cheaper than MLC at all. And the crappy software it gets shipped with, is horrible.

The EVO doesn't have any power protection, and i consider it pretty expensive for a TLC SSD; it's not much cheaper than MLC at all. And the crappy software it gets shipped with, is horrible.

spoken like someone who's
never used one amd never even looked at the benchmarks/reviews.

The higher end EVO's are the cheapest per gigabyte out there right now. (particularly the 1TB one)

Samsung magician is about the same as other software i've seen, aka: it's all 100% not needed unless you want to check lifetime writes or something like that.

Not sure what the pricing is in your area, but here in Europe the M500 is a tad cheaper. But it packs extra protection in terms of power-safe capacitor array that can prevent retroactive datacorruption on SSDs. All SSDS based on NAND flash are vulnerable without power protection.

People who think that a UPS is a good replacement are wrong. It isn't about power failure, it is about unexpected powerloss. That occurs quite often actually, like using the power button when the operating system isn't booted. All power interruptions without first sending a special command (STANDBY IMMEDIATE) count as unexpected powerloss, and may introduce a wide variety of corruption.

Samsung EVO is very fast. But today all modern SSDs are read capped by SATA600-interface, meaning only sequential write is left. For typical system disk usage, you do not need much sequential write at all, so all the fuss about speed is pretty much irrelevant.

Instead, it is more important to buy a reliable SSD instead. And that's why I suggested the M500 due to its power-safe capacitor protection which the Samsungs lack.

I've been using a crucial M4 256gb ssd for my main steam games and my battlefield games, been great for the past 18 months now. My machine runs 24/7 as well.

Back