Recommendations for digital camera $300-$400

Swede88

Lurker
I became interested in purchasing a digital camera so I took one of those leisure learning classes that teach the basics about cameras.

From what I know up to this point, I would probably like a Canon and I'm willing to spend around $300, up to $400 if need be.

I don't mind a camera with a ton of features because I want to grow into it. I just want something I will be happy with for a while. I don't want to have to sell it after learning that it won't fit my needs or wants after a couple of months.

I don't have any specific types of pics I will be taking other than those from my travels. Optical zoom is nice, but I'm not sure how much I will need because I haven't come across things I could potentially use it for. Having more than not enough is perfectly fine with me though.

Size is not a big issue, however I haven't really compared what it is like to travel with an S3 vs. an SD800IS. So if you have any comments that would be great.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something here, but you'll probably fill me in. Thanks

Used RebelXT or 300D. Used RebelXT should be going down because they just released the RebelXTi

Hmm...I was hoping to buy something new so I could put it on a credit card or at least get 90 days same as cash. Plus, I like warranties, etc... Any other suggestions?

What are you looking for. For a P&S camera, I would get one with IS. It helps big time. Are you looking for something that is compact, or big and takes great pictures. Tell us what you are looking for. Because I can recommend anything from the awesome Canon S3 IS to the Powershot SD800IS

darktiger said:
What are you looking for. For a P&S camera, I would get one with IS.

2nd'd. My Olympus sp500-uz doesn't have IS.. i wish it did..

darktiger said:
What are you looking for. For a P&S camera, I would get one with IS. It helps big time. Are you looking for something that is compact, or big and takes great pictures. Tell us what you are looking for. Because I can recommend anything from the awesome Canon S3 IS to the Powershot SD800IS

Yeah a P&S camera for now. If I decide to invest further in the hobby that's another issue. But for now I have been looking at those two cameras specifically. The only thing is that I haven't had a chance to see one in person, so I'm not sure of the size difference between the two.

I do want great pictures, but at the moment I do not have enough experience taking photographs to notice the difference. However, I do want a camera that will allow me to do so when I become more familiar with the differences. The S3 IS is something I have been looking at for a while.

What are the major differences between the S3IS and the SD800IS besides the size and the optical zoom? I know the S3 has a ton of features, but what else?

Back