• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Recommendations for an ATI AIW.

bunta

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 11, 2003
Messages
203
Hi, i need a recommendation for an All in Wonder card. I may sound clueless, and if i do i appologies in advance.

I just bought a 19 lcd and i think i am ready to watch some cable TV on my computer. But knowing that ATI has soooo many different versions of AIW, i dont know which one is the cheapest one but would yet satisfy my needs and wants.

All in all, i would like to watch some TV shows on my computer. Now i am not sure whether 64mb would differ that much with 128mb. Quality of pictures is NOT that important but rather the speed is much more important. When i am talking about speed i mean if i am watching both the tv and the computer at the same time with the same shows on, i dont want my computer to lag as in like 3 seconds behind the TV.

Also, i might be using 2 monitors down the road, so a separate connection is preferable but not neccessary.

Also, one some of the AIW cards, i see two different coaxial connections (the ones that go to the back of the tv for cable), whats the other one for?

The cheaper the better of course.
 
I think you would be better off with just buying a good TV Tuner instead of an AIW. An AIW will have to be your primary video card as well and that will force you to upgrade to another AIW down the road or lose your multimedia capabilities.
 
burningrave101 said:
I think you would be better off with just buying a good TV Tuner instead of an AIW. An AIW will have to be your primary video card as well and that will force you to upgrade to another AIW down the road or lose your multimedia capabilities.

I dont really understand what you are saying. By getting an AIW card, it will be my primary, my ONLY video card which will run two monitors and also allow me to watch TV at the same time.

Why would i be forced to upgrade to another AIW down the road. What did you mean by losing multimedia capabilities?? Thanks for your reply.
 
nearly every midrange to high end cards support dual monitor nowaday.
if you get an aiw card youll have to pay the big price to get another one to play the newer games at this time. if you get a tv tuner PCI card you will be able to keep it forevah :)
 
The majority of the AIW cards based on good GPU's dont support dual monitors. The 9600 series does. I would suggest getting a good vid card and getting a Hauppage PVR-150MCE for all your TV watching needs. Here it is for $70.

PVR-150MCE @ pcalchemy.com
 
You guys are f***kin awesome!

But lets say if i do want an AIW card. Which one has the capabilities that i want but also cheap at the same time? 8x agp only preferebly.
 
Scar1.8T said:
The majority of the AIW cards based on good GPU's dont support dual monitors. The 9600 series does. I would suggest getting a good vid card and getting a Hauppage PVR-150MCE for all your TV watching needs. Here it is for $70.

PVR-150MCE @ pcalchemy.com

Is this one of the better/best ones in its price range?
 
I have a 9600XT AIW and its great. Its any game I throw at it nicley and it is the only AIW I think that can have Dual Monitors insted one PC and one TV. ITs faster then normal 9600XT and it comes with the Remote Wonder 2. The TV viewer sometimes crashs but I think its becasue of some Nvidia stuff.
 
Ety said:
I have a 9600XT AIW and its great. Its any game I throw at it nicley and it is the only AIW I think that can have Dual Monitors insted one PC and one TV. ITs faster then normal 9600XT and it comes with the Remote Wonder 2. The TV viewer sometimes crashs but I think its becasue of some Nvidia stuff.

Hey, whcih model is the AIW card you are talking about. Is there a manufacturer's number you have handy?

I think im gonna go with a tv tuner card, but i may change my mind to avoid having to put another card to clutter my shuttle box. I only have ONE MORE PCI SLOT!!
 
bunta said:
Hey, whcih model is the AIW card you are talking about. Is there a manufacturer's number you have handy?

I think im gonna go with a tv tuner card, but i may change my mind to avoid having to put another card to clutter my shuttle box. I only have ONE MORE PCI SLOT!!

The 9600XT AIW its made by ATI. Its the only AIW I think that will let you do dual PC monitors. Its only $180ish on NewEgg and It only takes up one slot. Just go on NewEgg and order it and next week you'll be happy :D
 
Ety said:
The 9600XT AIW its made by ATI. Its the only AIW I think that will let you do dual PC monitors. Its only $180ish on NewEgg and It only takes up one slot. Just go on NewEgg and order it and next week you'll be happy :D

Only $180ish huh? Thank you though. Im looking into it and the tv tuner cards right now. thanks so much man.
 
Ety said:
The 9600XT AIW its made by ATI. Its the only AIW I think that will let you do dual PC monitors. Its only $180ish on NewEgg and It only takes up one slot. Just go on NewEgg and order it and next week you'll be happy :D

The only problem is the 9600XT isn't going to handle newer games coming out this year very well. If your a gamer then i'd suggest going the TV Tuner route so that you can upgrade your video card to something good like a X800XL or 6800GT down the road. Otherwise your going to have to buy a more expensive AIW to get the gaming performance.
 
bunta said:
Is this one of the better/best ones in its price range?

I have one in my HTPC and have been very satisfied with it. Their software leaves a bit to be desired, but when combined with a good TV or PVR app such as SageTV or BeyondTV the quality is great. Others have said the ATI eHome Wonder has comparably good quality as well.
 
Back
Top