Recommendations for a small LCD screen for gaming...

CompuG##K

Gawd
I've just finished building an SFF gaming pc using the incredibly small Silverstone Sugo SG05 because I got so tired of boxing up my huge main gaming rig and hauling it to lan parties and whatnot. :p

I'm looking for a small LCD monitor to pair with it. I would like to stay around 17" and possibly even 15" since it will have to be as small as possible to fit in my Silverstone SST-PA01B Pack with the system. The bag is designed to fit the older and much larger Sugo cases so I have a good deal of room to spare in the main compartment. I'm looking for ease of transportation so I'd like to be able to cram everything into one bag. All that's important to me quality-wise on the monitor are the black levels and response time. I'd imagine most screens this small would be TN panels so I don't really have a choice on viewing angles...

17" LCD monitor market is long dead and consists entirely of monitors meant for office work, not gaming. 15" LCDs are even deader than that.

xbitlabs regarding the 17" monitor market:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/monitors/display/lcd-monitor-buyers-guide-2008-2009_3.html#sect0
"17-inch monitors have ceased to develop, actually. Their prices have dropped to a very low level and they all have uniform parameters."
"I guess the model range of 17-inchers will shrink to a minimum in this year and will come to resemble the current state of the 15-inch LCD monitor market."

Going back to 2007:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/monitors/display/lcd-guide-f2007_2.html#sect0
So, monitors for games and movies:
* LG Flatron L1760TQ
* Samsung SyncMaster 731BF
* Samsung SyncMaster 760BF
THe 731BF seems to be available at a few stores when I google search for it.

Hmm.. Well what about a 19" screen? I doubt it'll fit in the bag but I guess it would still be pretty easy to transport...

19" LCDs aren't in much better shape. Check the xbitlabs.com Monitors section, you'll see part 13 of the 19" LCD roundup reviews. 22" is where it is at for gaming monitors now.

by "for gaming," do you mean more hertz? I think any monitor would do, especially if you have a midrange+ graphic card. Smaller monitors should be able to pump out the standard 60-75hz.

By gaming I meant a screen that had low response times and little input lag. Seems though like I'll be forced to carry a larger monitor since the small ones are obsolete... :(

Back