Recommendations for a personal computer (PC) < $500

beowulf7

[H]F Junkie
I'm looking to buy a new computer for my folks. They had a Dell from several years ago, but it's been pretty unreliable. I'm considering another Dell, although I'm open to HP and a couple other brands. My budget is $500, and for that, I'd like it to include a 20" LCD as well. I haven't seen a lot of Dell deals lately like I did before Black Fri. Most of the computer deals seem to be focused on laptops and netbooks. Does anyone see any great PC deals? The specs don't have to be great. Maybe 3-4 GB RAM, 320-500 GB HDD, Windows 7/64, etc. TIA.

Edit: The budget is now $500-$700 shipped (including monitor and speakers).

Last edited:
I think I'm leaning toward HP. Using my company's EPP w/ them, I configured an
HP Pavilion p6350z Desktop PC for $582 shipped to NJ that includes:

- Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
- AMD Athlon(TM) X4 620 quad-core processor [2.6GHz, 2MB L2, up to 4000MT/s bus]
- 3GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs]
- FREE UPGRADE! 500GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive

Everything else is the standard stuff (DVD burner and the usual bloatware). And then I threw in a monitor:
- HP 2009m 20" Diagonal HD Ready Widescreen LCD Monitor

It overshoots my budget by less than $100, so I may skip on the monitor and save $138+tax and let them get whatever LCD they want.

Here is my approach because I have done this for several family members and acquaintances who prefer I don't build them a rig due to warranty issues on individual parts as opposed to a whole system and frankly I was going to be tech support enough in the future I didn't want to worry about RMA'ing. In these instances, as well, they were not specific on needs other than general usage so compute power was not an issue. This method is what netted the best deals for me.

1. Find a time line, what is the last possible moment to order and have plugged into the wall. If this is not a strict parameter, move to 2.
2. If you are not a registered user of slickdeals, fatwallet, or all of those other bargain websites, start signing up. This is the key. If you sign up and then setup hot deal alerts to be e-mailed to you with customized alert details. Setup an alert with "hp desktop" or "dell desktop" in the criteria. Wait.
3. The e-mails are going to come hard and fast. This is the harder part of keeping up but you will get so familiar with what is being offered for what price that in about a week you will know much more precisely what is a good deal and what is just meh.
4. Once you feel comfortable with what the market is holding with the manufacturers, be ready to pull the trigger in a moment's notice. Some deals have only like a one hour window. If you are familiar with this thread, then you know what that means. Know if there is wiggle room in the budget and have either their or your cc/debit card in hand.

I have found this effective and since I have adopted this method I have much less apprehension buying with short notice. What I have found the most luck in is certain model configurations from Dell, HP, whoever, that has the coupon code for $100-$200 if you choose custom configs. Skimp on this, free upgrade that, you will get used to small details really making the deal fly.

Hope this helps a little. If you were already utilizing this technique, best of luck!

Here is my approach because I have done this for several family members and acquaintances who prefer I don't build them a rig due to warranty issues on individual parts as opposed to a whole system and frankly I was going to be tech support enough in the future I didn't want to worry about RMA'ing. In these instances, as well, they were not specific on needs other than general usage so compute power was not an issue. This method is what netted the best deals for me.

1. Find a time line, what is the last possible moment to order and have plugged into the wall. If this is not a strict parameter, move to 2.
2. If you are not a registered user of slickdeals, fatwallet, or all of those other bargain websites, start signing up. This is the key. If you sign up and then setup hot deal alerts to be e-mailed to you with customized alert details. Setup an alert with "hp desktop" or "dell desktop" in the criteria. Wait.
3. The e-mails are going to come hard and fast. This is the harder part of keeping up but you will get so familiar with what is being offered for what price that in about a week you will know much more precisely what is a good deal and what is just meh.
4. Once you feel comfortable with what the market is holding with the manufacturers, be ready to pull the trigger in a moment's notice. Some deals have only like a one hour window. If you are familiar with this thread, then you know what that means. Know if there is wiggle room in the budget and have either their or your cc/debit card in hand.

I have found this effective and since I have adopted this method I have much less apprehension buying with short notice. What I have found the most luck in is certain model configurations from Dell, HP, whoever, that has the coupon code for $100-$200 if you choose custom configs. Skimp on this, free upgrade that, you will get used to small details really making the deal fly.

Hope this helps a little. If you were already utilizing this technique, best of luck!

not to discredit your method or suggestion, but that sounds like WAY too much time spent tryign to save little cash

no its not.... Its a hot deals discussion.

Anyways, why not build one, its cheaper and more fun. If you dont like building them, i wouldn't mind.
Thanks, yes, I could build them a PC, but I live halfway across the country for them, so I'd rather let Dell/HP/etc. provide tech support than me.

I appreciate the feedback. :)

I am a member of SD (but not FW) and generally scan their front page on a daily basis. That's how I scored my HTPC last year (around this time) and got a great deal on a Dell Studio Slim. But for the past couple months, I've only seen laptops and netbook deals on their FP (in addition to computer parts and non-tech items).

not to discredit your method or suggestion, but that sounds like WAY too much time spent tryign to save little cash
Fortunately, my company has an EPP (employee purchase plan) w/ Dell and HP, which should give better than avg. savings, but granted, not the "slickest" deal. We (my siblings) and I were originally looking to get them a PC before X-mas, but I couldn't find a good deal. So we decided to wait. Now we want to get our parents a PC before their anniversary next month.

Our original budget was $500, but we decided to throw in a monitor and speakers, so we're now looking at the $700-750 range. I'll most likely buy something this week so that they get it by early Feb.

Thanks again for all your comments and if you see a great Dell/HP/etc. PC deal in the next day or 2, please post here! :cool:

True. I am kind of used to it though. I have saved 10%-25% on some complete systems. Some would do an actual cost analysis on time vs savings and it almost wouldn't work out but for me I like being a resource to my family and friends.

I say utilize that purchase program as well. Those are pretty good to go if they are anything like the one I have at my work.

Hey guys, which of these HPs do you think is the better deal? These prices are before taxes and include free shipping. The 20" monitor is an additional $138+tax (free ship). Thanks.

HP Pavilion p6350z customizable Desktop PC for $433

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
AMD Athlon(TM) X4 620 quad-core processor [2.6GHz, 2MB L2, up to 4000MT/s bus]
3GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs]
FREE UPGRADE! 500GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 320GB
Integrated graphics - ATI Radeon HD 4200
LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
Integrated 10/100/1000 (Gigabit) Ethernet, No wireless LAN
15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB, audio
No TV Tuner
Integrated 7.1 channel sound with front audio ports
HP USB 2.0 stereo speakers
HP multimedia keyboard and HP optical mouse

HP Pavilion p6370t customizable Desktop PC for $516

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-530 dual-core processor [2.93GHz, 512KB L2 + 4MB shared L3 cache, DMI 2.5GT/s]
4GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs]
500GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
Integrated graphics - Intel(R) HD Graphics [VGA]
LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
Integrated 10/100/1000 (Gigabit) Ethernet, No wireless LAN
15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB, audio
No TV Tuner
Integrated 7.1 channel sound with front audio ports
HP USB 2.0 stereo speakers
HP multimedia keyboard and HP optical mouse

The only differences are that the cheaper PC has a slower-clocked quad-core AMD w/ less and slower RAM. The more expensive PC has a faster-clocked dual-core i3 w/ more and faster RAM. I'm leaning toward the AMD.

For normal everyday use, get the AMD system and buy them a nice mousepad with the extra $83 :)

For comparison sake, here's the current Dell Deal from gotapex.com:
Vostro 220 Mini Tower w/ 18.5" Monitor for $430 + tax and shipping
  • Intel Core2Duo E7500 w/ VT (2.93GHz, 3M, L2Cache, 1066FSB)
  • 250GB SATA 7200RPM HDD
  • 2GB DDR2-800 - 2DIMMs
  • 16X (DVD+/-RW) Burner
  • Intel GMA X4500HD Integrated Video
  • Dell E Series 18.5 inch E1910H Flat Panel Monitor
  • Integrated 5.1 Channel Audio
  • Intergrated PCIE 10/100/1000
  • Dell USB Keyboard and Dell USB Optical Mouse
  • Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
  • 1 Year Basic Limited Warranty and 1 Year NBD On-Site Service

It sounds like any of these systems will be fine for your parents needs, unless they do more intensive things that you didn't mention. The Dell is the weakest of the 3, but its also the cheapest since it includes a monitor. Unfortunately, its only an 18.5" monitor right now. I think an upgrade to 21.5" Dell 1080p LCD monitor is only $40.

Whatever you do, DO NOT buy a system with 3GB memory (with 2 dimms). That means they're pairing a 1GB and 2GB DIMM together, and that cuts memory bandwidth in-half! They don't really even need the extra ram, but stupid system builders do this anyway. The entire feel of the system will be slower if you cut the memory bandwidth; on this system especially because of the on-board video.

Only go with 2GB or 4GB (2 dimms). Downgrade or upgrade, but do not settle for such a shitty system configuration.

Of the above two machines, I would get the Core i3. Yes, it's a dual-core system, but consider the following:

The Core i3 will give much faster single-threaded performance, which is important for your average internet user. Mom and Dad are not going to break-out Photoshop CS4 on a bargain-bin $500 desktop, so those multiple cores on the AMD system aren't going to do anything.

The Core i3 system will use a lot less power, which will make the system quieter. I really dislike AMD's cheap quad-core approach because those 4 cores are burning power while they sit idle most of the time.

The Core i3 will be just as smooth in task-switching as the AMD quad-core, because it has 4 threads. But the i3 will have an advantage in multitasking: twice the cache (4MB L3 versus 512k * 4).

The AMD system has one advantage: the integrated graphics are better for gaming. BUT, this only applies if you can change the memory configuration to 2 or 4GB - otherwise, the GPU will be memory-starved, and worthless. Video decoding acceleration is actually BETTER on the Intel i3, because it supports dual-stream decode, but otherwise they're on-par with video acceleration.

I'm also a bit partial to the reliability of HP computers. We've been using them at work for years now with almost no hardware issues. I also got my mother one last year, and it's been rock-solid.

*yes, I know the i7 1366 features 3 channels, but it's not even in his pricerange.

Last edited:
For normal everyday use, get the AMD system and buy them a nice mousepad with the extra $83 :)
Thanks, I was thinking that but the last poster I quoted here seems to really favor the Intel system.

For comparison sake, here's the current Dell Deal from gotapex.com:

It sounds like any of these systems will be fine for your parents needs, unless they do more intensive things that you didn't mention. The Dell is the weakest of the 3, but its also the cheapest since it includes a monitor. Unfortunately, its only an 18.5" monitor right now. I think an upgrade to 21.5" Dell 1080p LCD monitor is only $40.
Yes, that's correct that my parents will just be using it for basic use (Web, e-mail, CD/DVD burning, etc.). Wow, gotapex.com seems to have much better deals than what I was able to get w/ Dell EPP. I couldn't stack some Dell coupon codes I found on the Web w/ it.

Whatever you do, DO NOT buy a system with 3GB memory (with 2 dimms). That means they're pairing a 1GB and 2GB DIMM together, and that cuts memory bandwidth in-half! They don't really even need the extra ram, but stupid system builders do this anyway. The entire feel of the system will be slower if you cut the memory bandwidth; on this system especially because of the on-board video.

Only go with 2GB or 4GB (2 dimms). Downgrade or upgrade, but do not settle for such a shitty system configuration.

Of the above two machines, I would get the Core i3. Yes, it's a dual-core system, but consider the following:

The Core i3 will give much faster single-threaded performance, which is important for your average internet user. Mom and Dad are not going to break-out Photoshop CS4 on a bargain-bin $500 desktop, so those multiple cores on the AMD system aren't going to do anything.

The Core i3 system will use a lot less power, which will make the system quieter. I really dislike AMD's cheap quad-core approach because those 4 cores are burning power while they sit idle most of the time.

The Core i3 will be just as smooth in task-switching as the AMD quad-core, because it has 4 threads. But the i3 will have an advantage in multitasking: twice the cache (4MB L3 versus 512k * 4).

The AMD system has one advantage: the integrated graphics are better for gaming. BUT, this only applies if you can change the memory configuration to 2 or 4GB - otherwise, the GPU will be memory-starved, and worthless. Video decoding acceleration is actually BETTER on the Intel i3, because it supports dual-stream decode, but otherwise they're on-par with video acceleration.

I'm also a bit partial to the reliability of HP computers. We've been using them at work for years now with almost no hardware issues. I also got my mother one last year, and it's been rock-solid.

*yes, I know the i7 1366 features 3 channels, but it's not even in his pricerange.
About the AMD, the min. RAM I could get is 3 GB. If I upgrade to 4 GB, it's an extra $40. (Yes, I know that's a rip-off price.)

So the Intel i3 is that much better than the AMD quad core? I know the AMD isn't the Phenom, so it's nothing special, but I didn't know that difference was that dramatic.

I'm leaning toward the Intel system now. It would still be under $700 shipped w/ the 20" LCD.

About reliability, I mentioned my parents' previous Dell crapped out. They had an HP laptop from 2001, which was very reliable. (My mother gave it to her sister.) So HP seems better in reliability based on their experience. However, my sister has an HP laptop that crapped out on her (video) within 3 years, so she's on an anti-HP movement and would rather me get our parents the Dell.

Thanks, I was thinking that but the last poster I quoted here seems to really favor the Intel system.

Yes, that's correct that my parents will just be using it for basic use (Web, e-mail, CD/DVD burning, etc.). Wow, gotapex.com seems to have much better deals than what I was able to get w/ Dell EPP. I couldn't stack some Dell coupon codes I found on the Web w/ it.

About the AMD, the min. RAM I could get is 3 GB. If I upgrade to 4 GB, it's an extra $40. (Yes, I know that's a rip-off price.)

So the Intel i3 is that much better than the AMD quad core? I know the AMD isn't the Phenom, so it's nothing special, but I didn't know that difference was that dramatic.

It really is an impressive difference. The only difference between the Athlon X4 and the Phenom II is 6MB of high-performance L3 cache. It gives the system that extra performance edge. That massive L3 cache on the Intel i3 will be a difference-maker.

The 4 cores of the Athlon X4 would be the better choice if you were doing video transcodes, folding@home, playing multi-threaded games, doing 3D modeling, or performing high-end photo editing. But if all you do is internet, email, Youtube video, flash/popcap games, look at/send pictures to your family, etc...the 2 faster cores will benefit you more.

I realize that there is a price difference, however, so you'll have to decide if it's worthwhile. But I do note that the non-castrated Athlon x4 system would cut that price gap to $40.

See here to get an idea of the real-world multitasking difference between the two. Note that the i3 wins both tests, despite being up-against the 2.8 GHz version of the Athlon x4.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/01/04/intel-core-i5-661-core-i3-530-cpu-review/7

Last edited:
It really is an impressive difference. The only difference between the Athlon X4 and the Phenom II is 6MB of high-performance L3 cache. It gives the system that extra performance edge. That massive L3 cache on the Intel i3 will be a difference-maker.

The 4 cores of the Athlon X4 would be the better choice if you were doing video transcodes, folding@home, playing multi-threaded games, doing 3D modeling, or performing high-end photo editing. But if all you do is internet, email, Youtube video, flash/popcap games, look at/send pictures to your family, etc...the 2 faster cores will benefit you more.

I realize that there is a price difference, however, so you'll have to decide if it's worthwhile. But I do note that the non-castrated Athlon x4 system would cut that price gap to $40.

See here to get an idea of the real-world multitasking difference between the two. Note that the i3 wins both tests, despite being up-against the 2.8 GHz version of the Athlon x4.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/01/04/intel-core-i5-661-core-i3-530-cpu-review/7
Thanks, I scanned that review. While I know the i7 chip is awesome and the i5 is a very good value, I wasn't familiar w/ the i3. At least on those 2 comparisons, it did very well against the weaker AMD quad cores. Yes, my folks won't be doing any intensive multitasking w/ it.

That Intel system HP 6370T system w/ the i3 chip and 20" LCD comes out to just about $700 shipped. That just barely makes our upgraded budget, so I think I'll slap plastic on it soon.

I also played around w/ a couple configurations enginurd mentioned at gotapex.com. However, I wasn't getting the same prices they had. It seems like they skipped the monitor or downgraded it compared to what's on the Dell page. Or maybe the Dell deal changed and now they lowered the type of monitor (or removed it altogether). :(

The other advantage the HP has over Dell is a faster build and deliver time - by about a week. (Late Jan. for HP to ship vs. early Feb. for Dell. Add an additional 5-7 days shipping for either.)

I pulled the trigger on that HP Pavilion p6370t. I also got a 3-yr. warranty on it so that my father doesn't use me as tech support. We blew the budget at ~$850, but my siblings gave me the go ahead. The computer will ship on Jan. 29th and my folks should receive it 5-7 days later. The monitor will be shipped right away. I'll see the computer the next time I visit my folks, whenever that will be (probably summertime).

For memory pairing, is it okay to pair 2 different memory sizes if you have 2 different banks (4 DIMMS). For example, I have 2x2gb and 2x1gb. That allows both banks to run in dual channel, correct? How can one properly tell which 2 dimms belong to the same bank? I think mine may be color coded.

For memory pairing, is it okay to pair 2 different memory sizes if you have 2 different banks (4 DIMMS). For example, I have 2x2gb and 2x1gb. That allows both banks to run in dual channel, correct? How can one properly tell which 2 dimms belong to the same bank? I think mine may be color coded.

Yes, this will work, with full dual-channel bandwidth. Finding the correct pairing means opening-up your user's manual, or just testing a single pair of ram and making sure the BIOS boot screen reads DUAL CHANNEL.

Your ram will run at relaxed timings with 4 sticks versus 2, but you likely won't notice a performance difference.

Just a quick update: my father said he got the monitor on Fri., but he didn't open the package yet. The PC will should arrive in a couple weeks.

I just bought the same PC (p6370T) without monitor...for $512.49 ($200 instant rebate...and 5% coupon found on the net...and they took the 5% off the *pre-rebate* price!)

Also got free shipping...and I should have it at my door on Wed (about a week after ordering).

I went for base config...with an Win 7 Home Premium, an i3-530 CPU, 4GB of RAM, 640 GB hard drive (free upgrade from 500 GB), and no video card. It's for my daughter and she may not need better than on-board video. If she does, I can get one inexpensively off of NewEgg given that this box accepts full size cards. I compared HP's GPU prices and they were about a factor of two higher than NewEgg.

All-in-all, I think it's a great buy for a mid-range box for non-gaming...and it probably could game fairly well with a decent GPU. We already had a 19" monitor on the PC that we are upgrading...so that kept the price down.

I also like the form factor better than the low-end Dell models. :)

cheers,
Steve

I just bought the same PC (p6370T) without monitor...for $512.49 ($200 instant rebate...and 5% coupon found on the net...and they took the 5% off the *pre-rebate* price!)

Also got free shipping...and I should have it at my door on Wed (about a week after ordering).

I went for base config...with an Win 7 Home Premium, an i3-530 CPU, 4GB of RAM, 640 GB hard drive (free upgrade from 500 GB), and no video card. It's for my daughter and she may not need better than on-board video. If she does, I can get one inexpensively off of NewEgg given that this box accepts full size cards. I compared HP's GPU prices and they were about a factor of two higher than NewEgg.

All-in-all, I think it's a great buy for a mid-range box for non-gaming...and it probably could game fairly well with a decent GPU. We already had a 19" monitor on the PC that we are upgrading...so that kept the price down.

I also like the form factor better than the low-end Dell models. :)

cheers,
Steve
Cool, congrats! :) I'm sure she'll do it, unless she's a hardcore gamer. Yes, HP's upgrade prices were a rip off, so it's better to buy the base model and upgrade on your own.

My father got the computer in early Feb. and he really enjoys it. He said it's much faster than his Dell from 3-4 years ago and Windows 7 is starting to grow on him. :cool:

Incidentally, that Dell has pretty much died (it won't even turn on). I told him to take out the hard drive and dispose the rest of it. Its LCD (19", I think) is now being used by my mother with her laptop. :cool:

Great to hear it is working out.

Mine arrived yesterday. I haven't had a chance to open the box, but I should have it up and running by the weekend. I will be pulling a second 640GB data HD out of the old PC that I am returning (an older Shuttle SFF box) and dropping it into the new box as a second data drive.

Funny thing is, the old box (about 4 years old) is absolutely fine for almost everything...except one thing - iTunes. That thing is a hog. I debated adding more memory, but I finally decided against since we have Windows 7 on our other two home PCs and love it...and the cost of a memory and an OS upgrade was a significant fraction of just getting a new (faster) PC. Sad to retire that old box, but I have enough iron in the house that I can't justify another file server.

Great to hear it is working out.

Mine arrived yesterday. I haven't had a chance to open the box, but I should have it up and running by the weekend. I will be pulling a second 640GB data HD out of the old PC that I am returning (an older Shuttle SFF box) and dropping it into the new box as a second data drive.

Funny thing is, the old box (about 4 years old) is absolutely fine for almost everything...except one thing - iTunes. That thing is a hog. I debated adding more memory, but I finally decided against since we have Windows 7 on our other two home PCs and love it...and the cost of a memory and an OS upgrade was a significant fraction of just getting a new (faster) PC. Sad to retire that old box, but I have enough iron in the house that I can't justify another file server.
Cool, so how's your new HP computer working out? Yeah, I know what you mean of having to hate let go a perfectly working (although slow) computer, but if you have enough computers in the house, no need to waste power by running another one. :cool:

Cool, so how's your new HP computer working out? Yeah, I know what you mean of having to hate let go a perfectly working (although slow) computer, but if you have enough computers in the house, no need to waste power by running another one. :cool:

Working great so far. I cannot believe how quiet it is. Graphics performance is also excellent for hulu, netflix, and iTunes. This machine is not used for gaming...and most of the aforementioned usages (for now) are CPU-intensive rather than GPU-intensive...and the CPU does great.

It came with quite a bit of HP software pre-installed...as well as a minor amount of bloatware, but I have removed all of it. Frankly, it's not as good-looking as the pics on the HP site, but it's close (granted, subjective)...and to my relief, it's fairly small.

My daughter loves it...which was the real test.

One down side - it is only advertised as having VGA support even though it has a DVI out jack. I have heard others complain that the jack doesn't work. I am tempted to test it since I see some minor artifacting on parts of the screen - which were not on the same monitor when connected to the old PC. I am hoping to avoid adding a video card to address this issue, but I have more testing and perhaps driver updates that I can try first. Of course, no one else in the household has noticed it. :)

^ That's great to hear. Congrats! Yes, that is the real test that your daughter loves it.

Hmm, I'm not sure if my father is using the DVI or VGA. I thought he was using DVI. The next time I visit him (hopefully this summer), I'll know for sure how he connected it all up. Yes, worst case, you can get a $20 video card to get DVI and it'll also boost the graphics score quite a bit, which, granted, isn't important since your daughter's HP isn't meant for gaming.

About the bloatware, I told my father to remove Norton as its subscription expires and then to install Microsoft Security Essentials, which is free and relatively lightweight (from what I've been told - I've never used it). What anti-virus are you using?

There's an all in one Decrapifier that I learned about on the notebookreview forums thats pretty popular for removing the bloatware. I havent used it personally, though.

Back