Recommendations for a new wireless router

veritas7

Gawd
Hey all, I need some recommendations for a new wireless router for my parent's home.

They are going to have a LOT of random devices, that aren't necessarily going to hog the home's bandwidth at the same time, but I have a feeling with our current router, a Linksys/Cisco WRT54G2, it's going to struggle putting out a strong enough signal for reaching my sister's computer on the second floor (the router is located in our basement).

Also, a fair bit of warning: My father is hitting a certain age (lets say he's older than 50) and he's becoming quite stubborn with technology, and won't back down on having things "connected to the internet"

I think all the devices we have are wireless-G, except for my sister's iMac (G and N) and possibly the new TV/Blu Ray in our basement.

Essentially, we're going to have this many devices going to be connected to the router:
Wii (basement)
Blu Ray player (basement, for fw updates)
Blu Ray player (basement, another to another TV, for fw updates)
Samsung HDTV (basement, for Pandora/seriously have no clue why my father needs it)
Samsung HDTV (first floor, still don't know why he needs another TV connected to the internet)
His computer (basement, but LAN)
My mother's computer (first floor, wifi)
My sister's computer (second floor, wifi)
My computer, through a Belkin wireless-G->LAN adapter (woo current economy, unemployed and living with the parents :eek: ugh - second floor)
My father and sister's cellphones (they always forget to disable the wifi options on their Android/iPhones)

As you can see, that's quite a list of things that will be connected to the network, but not necessarily using the internet.

I just need a sturdy router that will be able to handle these many connections and able to put out a strong enough signal
for us to use. It's been a while since I've done anything with networking so I thought it would be wise to ask all of you here back at Hardforums :)

Last edited:
I should also emphasize this as well in a separate post:

Price is not that much of a factor.
We need a future proof (g and n) router that can handle all these type of connections, so it can be between $70 - $250.

I've been looking at dual-band routers, but it appears a lot of them are plagued with overheating or some sort of connection-dead issue that requires them to be rebooted as much as a Windows ME computer :(

Last edited:
Back