Recommendations for a Network Tester?

magik20

[H]ard|Gawd
need to buy some decent quality network testers. ( cat 5 - 6e )

Any recommendations?

How much do you want to spend?

Do you want the ability to test other types of cabling, such as fiber?
How indepth do you want the testing to go? The last Fluke DSP-4300 that I had could test multiple runs and save the results to log files on a MMC card which we printed and gave to the customer to verify our cabling.

If a cable was broken, the DSP-4300 could tell you how far down the line the break was.
Along with a whole slew of other options and tests. Granted after we added the fiber modules it cost close to $8500. (Hence the question how much do you want to spend.)

Personally I'm a fan of Fluke products,and if you just need basic cable testing, I'd go with the Fluke LinkRunner, it's on sale @ Provantage for $410

If you just want a cheapie tester, check and see if you have a Frost Electric or French Gerleman in your area. I also saw a cheap fox and hound at Compusa today for $30 minus 30% discount.

well i was thinking in the CHEAP range for network testers :)

buying a fluke = taking a mortage..

You can get a decent Fluke Toner set and cable tester (both in one tool set) for a couple hundred bucks. Well worth the investment.

well im looking for just pair testers...

if thats possible

maybe with built in toner features

I use an 'ideal' brand tester. ~$45. Make sure to keep a spare battery though, its a weird battery that you can't easily find. Mine ran out and I ended up having to solder in a 6V and electrical tape it into place where the old one fit because I couldn't source the battery anywhere local.

Back