• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Recommendations for a laser Printer

acameron_56

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 26, 2008
Messages
289
Hey, so I need a new printer. Currently I have an all-in-one hp inkjet printer and it is absolutely painful to use...it's buggy every time I try to use it. What I am mainly looking for is a reliable printer that will last a long time, doesn't take ages to warm-up, cheap toner and is not buggy. A black and white printer would be fine. I would prefer something other than HP, but if their better printers are good, then I will consider it. My budget would be around 100-200 USD. Thanks
 
Cheaper laser printers are not good, it's not HP. HP makes great business laser printers. If you only want to spend $200, get a good inkjet printer rather than a cheap laser.
 
hp probably makes the best lasers.
i would start with looking for several in your price range and then look for toner price for each.
some toner can be very spendy but it is much more cost efficient then ink.
 
While searching, I came across the canon pixma mx850. It's a very cheap inkjet, but supposedly very good. The ink isn't that expensive and apparently lasts a really long time. Can anyone back that up?
 
Hey, so I need a new printer. Currently I have an all-in-one hp inkjet printer and it is absolutely painful to use...it's buggy every time I try to use it. What I am mainly looking for is a reliable printer that will last a long time, doesn't take ages to warm-up, cheap toner and is not buggy. A black and white printer would be fine. I would prefer something other than HP, but if their better printers are good, then I will consider it. My budget would be around 100-200 USD. Thanks

Brother Laser printers = the win

You can get them for as cheap as 50 bucks on sale at staples or get a low entry business model for under $200.

Staples,OfficeMax etc normally run sales on these alot.

Links just to show u models

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...00630&Description=brother&bop=And&Order=PRICE

I have a 2040N
and a 2170W both used as home office printers they have yet to fail me. cheap toner to.

the HL-5250DN is awesome for small business stuff my dad uses one (accountant) can be found for $199 often.
 
So I assume the 2140 is the new middle model between those two? Should I assume the same performance as well?
 
I have a brother HL-5240 and its a great printer. Fairly quiet and pretty quick. I got a steal on it. Got it at staples as a refurb for 125 plus a 50 rebate. Very pleased with it.
 
I'll vouch for Brother's laser printers.

I feel you OP with those HP All-in-one printers. They are a PAIN TO USE!!!

I bought the Brother HL-2140 during a slickdeal. Pretty much after MIR it was $50 and boy do I love this printer!

Warms up pretty fast and toner life is pretty good (not sure since it is my first laser printer).

The OEM toner that came with the printer lasted me 1241 pages (I set the DPI from 600 to 300 majority of the time to get as much life out of the toner as possible. The stock OEM toner claim 1000 pages).

Now I'm using the high capacity toner TN-360 and I'm at 1331 pages and it has about 60~65% toner life left. Great printer for poor college student!

------------------------------------

Check this link out to find any good Brother laser printer deals.
 
Last edited:
Thats exactly what I wanted to hear =). This printer is for next year when I'm going to school, so I will likewise be poor. Now I just have to decide whether I should throw the HP out the window or just beat it with a hammer =b
 
I own a Dell 1110 (black and white laser). Couldn't be happier with it. Dell has it listed for $99 + tax + free shipping. I picked up mine from eBay for ~$70 shipped. Even came with an ink cartridge.
 
Back
Top