Recommendations: 2nd hand xeon to oc

Mac29

n00b
I've been debating picking up an older xeon to oc vs. something else for 1155 (haven't bought anything yet) and was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction.

Wondering if I can find a 4 core xeon under $150 that can fit a socket 1155 mobo w/can a) oc, b) utilize DDR3 1600, c) has HDMI. I don't think 1366 is in my future but don't know much about it. I am planning on dual channel ram but am a little concerned about graphics bandwidth from recent reading.

Only taxing appls would be light video, databases and gaming. What I thought I understood was that current video bandwidth isn't even close to being utilized so not to worry. Now I hear about 256 will definitely help AA, etc. and I should .... that overused word: futureproof.

Yeah I know: anything that cheap won't fit 1155 and probably can't use 1600. Thought I'd ask the pros from Dover. Otherwise, don't want to invest in a dead socket so I'm leaning i3 for now, then used i5.

Thanks for any interest,

Mac

You aren't going to find one that can overclock. I don't think most 1155 Xeons have an enabled iGPU either. And 1155 is already a dead socket. Did you mean 1150? In which case, your only cheap overclockable option is the Pentium. With 1155, you have none.

Thanks for replying Tsumi. Don't care about iGPU. Think I'll see what the xeon club in Intel forum thinks about X5672 and a few others. Just to settle things.

Back