Recommendation wanted for a good backlit ergonomic keyboard

peppergomez

2[H]4U
I use the curved Microsoft natural keyboard and like it a lot but I'm thinking. I'd like to get a keyboard that's backlit for when I game at night. Can anyone make any recommendations?

Thanks

Did you have a budget in mind? Any preference on switch type? Ergodox, Kinesis, and Moonlander come to mind.

I have the Keychron Q10 and it's pretty darn good. It's a friggin' tank. Like 5 and a half pounds of CNC machined aluminum.

I guess it all depends on what you wish. The Microsoft Natural keyboard is curved but its all a single piece, as opposed to being split as many ergonomic layouts tend to be. If you want something similar, check out a variety of "Alice" layout boards. I know Keychron has a couple (depending on what size you want), as others have mentioned. There are also a number of "build kit" style out there. However a lot of them may not
Did you have a budget in mind? Any preference on switch type? Ergodox, Kinesis, and Moonlander come to mind.
I looked into these along with a few others (ie UHK ) myself and found what seems to be an equal or superior alternative in some cases - dygma.com . They're a boutique company out of Spain that was developed by a pro gamer, mech keyboard, ergonomic and FOSS enthusiasts and overall I've had a great experience dealing with them and their products.

They have two models. The "Raise" is the original model that is a standard 60% layout but is split in the middle, splits the space bar into 4, adds an under row of low profile macro thumb keys (also 4), and can tent/tilt if you pick that upgrade. Its good for someone who's not used to an ergonomic or split layout as you can use it together to start and then start moving it apart and tilting it as you like. Note that both sides do NOT need to connect to each other, they just have to connect to the "neuron" which can be placed where ever you like. The whole thing is open source including config software and firmware. Lighting wise its RGB capable backlighting and multi zone underlighting so that should cover what you need. Hot swappable switches, MX type for everything except for the under row which is Kailh Choc. There are padded wrist/palm rests (removable, washable) on either side too, among some other benefits and overall makes a solid keyboard for a wide variety of uses.

The "Defy" is their new model which is closer to a modified Ergodox/Moonlander style columnar layout, but has a whopping 8 thumb keys on each side! . Its just going through production now and will be available around August (barring the earliest orders). All of the stuff that's great about the Raise is also present on the Defy (ie open source, backlighting, ergonomic layouts , palm rests etc.) and most things are included by default, but compared to the Raise having a tenting/tilt upgrade option, the Defy has 3 - Tent/Tilt functionality, Underbody multizone lighting, and wireless (both BT and 2.4ghz) , so if there's some you don't feel you'd want you can save the cash. I'm looking forward to its arrival as it will be the first columnar/ortholinear type since I built a custom ErgoDox inspired layout of my own awhile ago

I guess it all depends on what you wish. The Microsoft Natural keyboard is curved but its all a single piece, as opposed to being split as many ergonomic layouts tend to be. If you want something similar, check out a variety of "Alice" layout boards. I know Keychron has a couple (depending on what size you want), as others have mentioned. There are also a number of "build kit" style out there. However a lot of them may not

I looked into these along with a few others (ie UHK ) myself and found what seems to be an equal or superior alternative in some cases - dygma.com . They're a boutique company out of Spain that was developed by a pro gamer, mech keyboard, ergonomic and FOSS enthusiasts and overall I've had a great experience dealing with them and their products.

They have two models. The "Raise" is the original model that is a standard 60% layout but is split in the middle, splits the space bar into 4, adds an under row of low profile macro thumb keys (also 4), and can tent/tilt if you pick that upgrade. Its good for someone who's not used to an ergonomic or split layout as you can use it together to start and then start moving it apart and tilting it as you like. Note that both sides do NOT need to connect to each other, they just have to connect to the "neuron" which can be placed where ever you like. The whole thing is open source including config software and firmware. Lighting wise its RGB capable backlighting and multi zone underlighting so that should cover what you need. Hot swappable switches, MX type for everything except for the under row which is Kailh Choc. There are padded wrist/palm rests (removable, washable) on either side too, among some other benefits and overall makes a solid keyboard for a wide variety of uses.

The "Defy" is their new model which is closer to a modified Ergodox/Moonlander style columnar layout, but has a whopping 8 thumb keys on each side! . Its just going through production now and will be available around August (barring the earliest orders). All of the stuff that's great about the Raise is also present on the Defy (ie open source, backlighting, ergonomic layouts , palm rests etc.) and most things are included by default, but compared to the Raise having a tenting/tilt upgrade option, the Defy has 3 - Tent/Tilt functionality, Underbody multizone lighting, and wireless (both BT and 2.4ghz) , so if there's some you don't feel you'd want you can save the cash. I'm looking forward to its arrival as it will be the first columnar/ortholinear type since I built a custom ErgoDox inspired layout of my own awhile ago
Looks neat, always nice to have more options. Sounds like they're making good decisions on sides and wireless. I think tent/tilt should be standard with KBs like this. The thumb keys look like something that would take a fair bit of adjusting to if one wanted to use both rows.

I briefly looked into building an Ergodox but part cost was too high to justify it to myself versus ED-EZ. I got a good deal on an FS Edge and have no major complaints; I'll be sticking with it short of a crazy deal on a columnar option. I have both tenting kits for the Edge but I've found flat more comfortable to use since I have it in a tray. I briefly used it tented on top of the desk and it was comfortable but I like having the free space.

Back