Recommendation, please.

Kyuki

n00b
Hi all,

I'm looking for a router/firewall device that can handle a site-to-site VPN connection. Old PC stuff is out of the question for this. Looking for under $120 if possible.

If you can find it that cheap or stretch your budget Zyxel USG 20 will do a hardware IPsec tunnel and it runs BSD on embedded hardware. AKA it will run for years without a restart.

Netgear WNDR4300 running OpenWRT might be an option, I've had great success in the past using vTun(d). OpenVPN and Quicktun might also be suitable options. TP-Link TL-WDR4900 might also be an interesting option compared to Mikrotik. Do note that IPsec can be/is a pain if you have dynamic IPs. EdgeRouter Lite by Ubiquiti might also be an option, I'd probably look at it before looking at Mikrotik.
//Danne

Might be INTERESTING to setup but the edgerouter lite is an option I can also endorse.

@ Kyuki
The RouterOS does handle site-to-site such as OpenVPN although in the past OpenVPN hasn't been a great performer in terms on throughput on "low-end" SoC-platforms. It's most likely also very hard if not impossible to upgrade on your own (I might be wrong here). It's very easy on OpenWRT which essentially runs on the same hardware. Given various tweaks OpenWRT might perform better than RouterOS running OpenVPN but I havent benchmarked or anything using the same platform.

Regarding availability of the edgerouter it seems to be pretty much on backorder in .us/.eu everywhere.

//Danne

@ Kyuki
The RouterOS does handle site-to-site such as OpenVPN although in the past OpenVPN hasn't been a great performer in terms on throughput on "low-end" SoC-platforms. It's most likely also very hard if not impossible to upgrade on your own (I might be wrong here). It's very easy on OpenWRT which essentially runs on the same hardware. Given various tweaks OpenWRT might perform better than RouterOS running OpenVPN but I havent benchmarked or anything using the same platform.

Regarding availability of the edgerouter it seems to be pretty much on backorder in .us/.eu everywhere.

//Danne
Thanks for the information, Danne. :)
There is a source that lists it as backordered, but ships without 24 hours of the order being received. I'll have to go digging into the ubiquiti forum to find it.

Found it: http://www.microcom.us/erlite3.html
Thanks! You're sure it supports site-to-site vpn?

Back