recommendation for x-fi replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
X-FI has fewer problems on Intel based Chip Sets and all the flames in the world can't change that.
The X-Fi is also a sound card, not a motherboard chipset. The latter is far more complex and prone to issues, and those who understand hardware understand this.

How many hardware issues do Oxygen HD-based cards have compared to the X-Fi? Perhaps we should make ourselves a list.
 
The Claro, AC-1, B-Enspirer, Inferno, X-Meridian all use the 8788 Oxygen HD chipset. That is where their similarity ends. If money is a factor or if your going fully digital then get one of the other cards. The XM is a very,very good sounding card and you pay for it. The Prelude will be released soon..perhaps you may want ot wait for that one. If your interested in the XM read the reviews. There are lots of great cards out right now. You need to figure out what is most important to you and decide from there.
 
interesting. My x-fi has been running great for a couple years now, and even in vista aside from a couple weeks where the drivers sucked. And I've given this card a beating. I think it would be silly to pass up the Prelude, as the x-fi gaming features beat out anything else out there, but you can have the Dolby and great music/movies quality sound to go along with it.

Dolby headphone isn't up to the standard of CMSS and EAX in games.
 
To be honest, if it has a creative chip on it, and therefore likely requires creative drivers - then I'm not interested.

The "squeal of death" is killing me right now on my M2R32-MVP and I don't want to buy a new card just to have the same issue.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20061224201110258&board_id=1&model=M2R32-MVP&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&message.id=76653

Obviously, thats a motherboard conflict with the card. Can't really blame just the x-fi as it works just fine on numerous other boards. Passing up on the Prelude or the x-fi chip in general is passing up on top notch sound placement in games, but hey, to each his own.
 
Obviously, thats a motherboard conflict with the card. Can't really blame just the x-fi as it works just fine on numerous other boards. Passing up on the Prelude or the x-fi chip in general is passing up on top notch sound placement in games, but hey, to each his own.

As I have said, I have had issues with this soundcard and MANY motherboards. But that is really off topic here.
 
The X-Fi is also a sound card, not a motherboard chipset. The latter is far more complex and prone to issues, and those who understand hardware understand this.

How many hardware issues do Oxygen HD-based cards have compared to the X-Fi? Perhaps we should make ourselves a list.

So what problem do you have with me telling my Bud to NOT use the X-FI? I told him se it was the reason his system was having problems? This person, just like I did, have more problems with NV-RAID and NV-FIREWALL long after the X-Fi was removed and clean installs performed. Try Intel's RAID then you'll see the difference.

X-FI is HARDWARE and XMeridian is an Output CONDUIT and software based. It has always be easier to make software based cards than HW based one. Folks who understand hardware have known this since the days of Hardware; Modems, NIC's, RIAD controllers and EVERYTHING else.
 
As I have said, I have had issues with this soundcard and MANY motherboards. But that is really off topic here.

Why is that off topic? I had the X-FI work on my A8N (16X) SLI, GA 8iHXP i850E, ABit IC7-G i875 and currently Running on GA DS3 i965P. It didn't work correctly on the Asus A8N 32 SLI. Maybe the problem is BOTH of their fault so I'm not just blaming the motherboard anymore. Yet, we can't sit here and pretend some motherboards aren't just better. Those better motherboards have fewer problems with X-FI and everything else LOL!
 
hahaha ohhhh donnie..... why is someone always picking a fight with you? Or is it you that's the problem... hmmm..... :p
 
hahaha ohhhh donnie..... why is someone always picking a fight with you? Or is it you that's the problem... hmmm..... :p

Why is someone always picking a fight with him? Why is someone's system always having a problem with a specific sound card? I see a similiarity here :D
 
Why is someone always picking a fight with him? Why is someone's system always having a problem with a specific sound card? I see a similiarity here :D

X-FI is HARDWARE and XMeridian is an Output CONDUIT! That's what causes the fights with you now isn't it?
 
X-FI is HARDWARE and XMeridian is an Output CONDUIT! That's what causes the fights with you now isn't it?

Doesn't matter if it is an Output CONDUIT or HARDWARE, as long as I get a great sound without any problem, it doesn't matter much to me. I have my GPU and CPU for my FPS, if it is not enough for me, I'll buy a better CPU/GPU anytime. It is better than having a HARDWARE that gives me all sorts of problem.
 
ALG, your right. The X-Meridian has solid drivers. In XP, Vista X32 and X64....never heard anything to the contrary. It is a nice thing to know when looking at new soundcards, that it won't be a crap shoot when you get it home.:D
 
Doesn't matter if it is an Output CONDUIT or HARDWARE, as long as I get a great sound without any problem, it doesn't matter much to me. I have my GPU and CPU for my FPS, if it is not enough for me, I'll buy a better CPU/GPU anytime. It is better than having a HARDWARE that gives me all sorts of problem.

You don't get "great" Game sounds:D That's why it does matter and why Auzen will use an X-Fi chip. I was shocked when you tried to imply I had changed my position or etc...... I'd always said that if Auzen used Creative's features I'd jump on one. Why did you act surprised? Did you think I was lying or just saying something to make you feel better?

If it is giving you problems, I don't blame you. But since mine DOESN'T give me any problems worth bitching about, try to see it my way as well? For folks I know who did have problems, I got them to remove it and get XMeridan, b-Enspirer and use on-Board sound. I've told you that before:D
 
This person, just like I did, have more problems with NV-RAID and NV-FIREWALL long after the X-Fi was removed and clean installs performed.
I don't recall this being a point of discussion.

X-FI is HARDWARE and XMeridian is an Output CONDUIT and software based.
So, the comparison between a motherboard and a sound card is valid, but a comparison between two sound cards is totally invalid.

Curious logic there, Donnie. Mind elaborating?
 
I don't recall this being a point of discussion.


So, the comparison between a motherboard and a sound card is valid, but a comparison between two sound cards is totally invalid.

Curious logic there, Donnie. Mind elaborating?

Because the Systems's Processor doesn't have to worry about answering PCI calls within 4 nano seconds or buffering interuptions. The System's Processor doesn't have to process EAX3, 4 or 5. The System's Processor doesn't have worry about a sometimes buggy Hypertransport Link or a New Intel DMI link, nope, no problem at all. The System's Processor doesn't have to fight with NIC's and other I/O over the PCI Bus' 133MB that some guys think the sound card has full uninterrupted access to.:eek: Again, A long time ago I told you some times Software processing has advantages, other times it doesn't. IMHO. Sure X-Fi puts a strain on some systems, even a little more power since it is a little 400MHz C/APU and etc... When it doesn't work, dump it!

The problem is there aren't any EAX 3+ and OpenAL software for the processor to process. Yes, if there were, I think it'd need more that 10% of resources to process it.
 
As I have said, I have had issues with this soundcard and MANY motherboards. But that is really off topic here.

Then your card is broken. It happens with all hardware occasionally. Your card might still be under warranty.
 
The System's Processor doesn't have to process EAX3, 4 or 5.
There's a complexity to the communication there, no doubt, but it's not as if more intensive processes should result in more overall issues, nor should the 20K1's digital signal processing cause issues to the overall functionality of the chip. The integrated nature of the X-Fi should lead to fewer overall issues as a baseline.

The System's Processor doesn't have worry about a sometimes buggy Hypertransport Link or a New Intel DMI link, nope, no problem at all.
I don't understand what relevance this has to specific sound card issues.

The System's Processor doesn't have to fight with NIC's and other I/O over the PCI Bus' 133MB that some guys think the sound card has full uninterrupted access to.
From a bandwidth perspective, the X-Fi's impact on the PCI bus should actually be fairly minimal.

I'm not implying that a primarily software-based sound card like the X-Meridian is directly comparable to the X-Fi. In reality, they're actually two quite distinctive types of technology that just so happen output to the same format (analog or digital audio streams). My issue here is that you compare a motherboard chipset to a sound card as if they're equal in terms of potential issues. If such a comparison is valid in your terms, than so should be the comparison between hardware- and software-based sound cards.
 
Then your card is broken. It happens with all hardware occasionally. Your card might still be under warranty.

I would almost agree with that, except for the long period of time that I used the card on 2 different DFI boards without issue. Before and after those DFI boards I used 2 different ASUS boards and had issues with both of those.

Anyhow, I think I have gotten everything I needed out of this topic. Thanks for everyones help.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top