Recommendation for router under $100

anthrex

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey everyone,

Was wondering what the best router for under $100 or ideally under $75 for a simple home network with file/high quality video streaming from a NAS. I want to stay relatively cheap as 802.11ac networks seem like they will be popping up this summer and I think maybe next year after a bit of maturity and more product integration I might step up to it. Thanks!

I would recommend the WNDR3700 but the current shipping version is most likely a v3 which isn;t as good as a v1 or v2. If you can find an older version, go for that.

Is it the hardware or the software that makes the earlier ones more desirable?

Hardware, but only because v1 and v2 were Atheros based and ending getting really good support out of OpenWRT and the related Gargoyle firmware project. The v3 switched to a Broadcom chip, but I do not know the status of DD-WRT or Tomato nor the performance and stability of its stock firmware.

We deploy WNR2200's at work which are actually really decent for the money, though not gigabit and you might have trouble finding them on the consumer market. If you can, go for one of those.

Obviously, I mostly know Netgear. On the Linksys side, looking into the new EA2700. It might not suck, don't know, but it's $100 and has gig ports.

Back