Recommendation for Office PC build

conscript

2[H]4U
Ok, building my father a new PC for his office. My goals would be to make it stable and quiet. Really just need recommendations on mobo/cpu, as I've been abit out of the intel loop, and my rig is an AMD 754 setup. So my first question is do I go with a 775 of 939 setup, or stick with tried and true intel 478 or AMD 754? Note, this is not for gaming whatsoever, just business applications, so I was leanning toward intel for his rig.

Also, the last PC I made him was a 478 2ghz setup. Intel mobo. that was a couple years ago. Thanks / Conscript\

P.S. Actually could use a recommendation on video card too, since he would like to go with a dual monitor setup which I've never done either. Again, not for 3d, just 2d applications. Matrox still the best for that?

P.P.S Cost really isn't a factor, but I'd like to keep it reasonable for him.

as BB said, don't really need that much power for office pc's. build looks good, just I'd tend to spend more on PSU than that.

i assume you looked at OEM's and gave up on them for a good reason, and that reason was not purchase price. What was it? Remember, to make this a fair comparison you have to support it for ~3 years.

Keep in mind this isn't just a word processing desktop. By father uses some fairly demanding Tax software. Also, video card for dual monitors?

You should go for a intel for an office pc. AMD systems are for gaming, Intels are designed to run all programs. Get a celeron or a prescott and you'll be set. You could get away with buying a ati or geforce, if you want to bring down the costs (matrox is great but the price is high).

"Just business applications" to "demanding tax software" - make up your mind, eh? ;)

My dad was a self employed CPA with 3 employees, and his tax software seemed to be just a specialized database. A good disk subsystem and a decent amount of RAM are what ya need for that. How good? *shrug* Whats your budget? His stuff worked fine on PIII 800 MHz systems.

Almost any basic ATI or GeForce dual monitor setup will work. Under $100.00 easy. Hell, how about 55 bucks - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-139-149&depa=1

BB

BB Gun said:
My dad was a self employed CPA with 3 employees

My god, I wonder if we're brothers? ;)

Anyway, let me simplify. I know what I'm doing, so all I'm asking for is are the P4 LGA setups with intel mobo's as stable as their 478 brethren, or would I be better off going with an older 478 setup. While I'm a big fan of AMD, by dad won't be playing Doom or HL2 anytime soon, and every bench I've ever seen has P4 up on the business application front. Price is not a major concern, but there will be no EE's, nor any celeron's.

Back