I'm looking for recommendations for an easy to use piece of software meant for playing back music using a remote. I have a cheap PIII 800 system that would do nice with a cheap creative card with digital out. All I need is very simple software to allow selection of albums and songs with an interface friendly to remote controls.
I was inspired after doing a mythtv system that has a very easy to browse interface with a remote. Myth can do songs but seems like an overkill for what I want to do.
details:
My dad's CD player broke so I'm trying to bring him to the computer age with his music. He has several hundred classical CD's that I want to get onto a computer. I'm thinking 320 kbps.
Anyway, he's not the quickest with new technology, so I want him to have an easy to use cheap system. All it's doing is playing back mp3's and nothing else.
His system is a pretty nice. Denon 2-speaker receiver with 2 nice JBL's. I thought it would be best to do digital (coax spdif) from some cheap creative card and not worry about crappy sound cards analog output.
So Audio has to be top notch.
Linux solutions are ok! Any thoughts?
I was inspired after doing a mythtv system that has a very easy to browse interface with a remote. Myth can do songs but seems like an overkill for what I want to do.
details:
My dad's CD player broke so I'm trying to bring him to the computer age with his music. He has several hundred classical CD's that I want to get onto a computer. I'm thinking 320 kbps.
Anyway, he's not the quickest with new technology, so I want him to have an easy to use cheap system. All it's doing is playing back mp3's and nothing else.
His system is a pretty nice. Denon 2-speaker receiver with 2 nice JBL's. I thought it would be best to do digital (coax spdif) from some cheap creative card and not worry about crappy sound cards analog output.
So Audio has to be top notch.
Linux solutions are ok! Any thoughts?