Recommendation for AGP 8X with Dual DVI-D?

mtbvfr

Weaksauce
Hi Everyone,

Can anyone recommend a Graphics card that will be suitable for Windows 2000 Server and a Motherboard with AGP 8X and will support resolutions up to 1920 x 1200 (16:10) for when I can obtain a newer monitor?

Thank you!

pcx and Cschill1290,

Thanks for the suggestions but both of those cards appear to have DVI-I sockets. Will these function with a monitor that has a DVI-D Dual Link socket?

Thank you,

It's a very old geforce (6+ years). I imagine you'd be safer with something newer like an HD3650 AGP or similar.

I found the following on Wikipedia.

Digital Visual Interface

"The long flat pin on a DVI-I connector is wider than the same pin on a DVI-D connector, so it is not possible to connect a male DVI-I to a female DVI-D by removing the 4 analog pins. It is possible, however, to connect a male DVI-D cable to a female DVI-I connector. Many flat panel LCD monitors have only the DVI-D connection so that a DVI-D male to DVI-D male cable will suffice when connecting the monitor to a computer's DVI-I female connector."

Is the above correct?

Thanks,

Yeah, you can connect DVI-D cables to DVI-I sockets. There's a limitation on the resolution for DVI-I, which if I remember correctly is that it won't support anything over 1920 x 1200. Anything at that level or below you should be okay.

Which is better or less troublesome generally? ATI or NVIDIA?

Thank you,

Totally variable. AMD have had their ups and downs with drivers, but I find nvidia hardware a lot less reliable than radeons [reference designs only. Non-reference is too variable to sway one way or the other]

Yeah, you can connect DVI-D cables to DVI-I sockets. There's a limitation on the resolution for DVI-I, which if I remember correctly is that it won't support anything over 1920 x 1200. Anything at that level or below you should be okay.

Incorrect.

DVI-I means the socket carries both a digital and analog signal (the analog signal is what allows you to connect a DSUB VGA plug with a simple adapter). A DVI-D cable will simply drop that optional analog signal.

The DIGITAL resolution limit is a function of whether you have a dual-link DVI connector (currently 2560x1600 max) or not (1920x1200@60Hz max) - analog support (DVI-I) does not play into that at all. You can have a DVI connector that supports dual-link and analog signals.

For example, the two DVI outputs on my GTX 460 support both dual-link AND analog signals. You can have one video output connected to a CRT (using an adapter), and another one connected to a 2560x1600 30" monitor. It can drive either one from either of the dual-link DVI-I outputs.

IF YOU NEED DUAL-LINK CAPABILITY, I would avoid older AGP video cards (like the 6800 suggested). Dual-link DVI support did not become standard for both DVI connectors until the age of the Nvidia 8000/ATI 2000 series.

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing that up. I wasnt sure exactly what was limited which direction. Just knew there was some kind of limitation.

Hi Folks,

I need a card with drivers for Windows 2000.

Sapphire have informed me they don't provide such drivers for the 4650.

Thanks,

New egg still sells some decent AGP cards, have to search for the biggest and best they have for what you want though.

Hi Everyone,

I have found the following card which should be sufficient for my immediate needs.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/PNY+Tec...bolsp-app02-47?id=1218255999549&skuId=1407264

As informed by PNY, it has a DVI-I Single Link socket but it has the holes for a Dual Link cable just in case that is the only cable you have.

So, if a monitor, with a resolution of 1920 x 1200, has a Dual Link DVI-D socket, will a Male DVI-I to Male DVI-I Single Link cable be sufficient?

Do Dual Link cables generally cost more than Single Link cables?

Thank you,

Dual Link pins and all are only used when your monitor exceeds a resolution of 1920x1200.

You'll only really see it used on the 2560x1440 / 2560x1600 panel.

You need to get a PCI card such as a Series 6 6200 from NVIDIA or an old Radeon 7500, or even AGP versions.

Do NOT get a 6800 Ultra or any HD3000 (or above) series cards, they are not supported by 2000 Server. Also, if this is going into a server, even an old one, those old cards eat far too much power for just being a 2D output.

Get the lowest power consumption card you can, 2000 Server is designed for a 2D gui, text, and CLI. It was not designed for gaming or high-end graphics, even from 6-7 years ago.

Hi Everyone,

I have found the following card which should be sufficient for my immediate needs.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/PNY+Tec...bolsp-app02-47?id=1218255999549&skuId=1407264

As informed by PNY, it has a DVI-I Single Link socket but it has the holes for a Dual Link cable just in case that is the only cable you have.

So, if a monitor, with a resolution of 1920 x 1200, has a Dual Link DVI-D socket, will a Male DVI-I to Male DVI-I Single Link cable be sufficient?

Do Dual Link cables generally cost more than Single Link cables?

Thank you,

1920x1200 at 60Hz is the limit of single-link, but you'll be good with either. Go to monoprice.com for cables, you can get either for cheap and high quality.

btw, that's a great card and should work well, but even a simple 32MB AGP/PCI card would be more than enough. ;)

HIS Ice-Q 4670 AGP........smoooooooooooooooth operator.......

edit: not dual dvi but hdmi to dvi is easy to find

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
A DVI-I cable will work too, they are all backwards compatible with that specific card, but whatever floats your boat. ;)

Back