Recommend Wireless Router

RemisGodly

[H]ard|Gawd
Looking for a wireless router for my house that I can still plug a desktop into and use for about five laptops.

Hopefully priced under $100.

Thanks.

I use the Netgear MR814 and I love it. Linksys' dont work for me for some reason. You might want to get a wireless G router for more bandwidth capabilites since you are going to use 5 computers on the wireless side at once, but then again 11mbits might work if you're just accessing the net.

WRT54G is what I have. There's a couple of people that are producing OpenSource code for these routers that allows them to up the power, support DDNS and lots of other stuff. Linksys is part of Cisco now so the pockets are deep and this stuff has been rock solid for me over the last 6 months. My old router is on the shelf but worked for 3 years before I replaced it with this one.

The default power on a WRT54G is 25% and I've twisted mine up to 33%. It is a single story ranch 1800sqft with the router about the middle of the house but I can get full coverage at 54M from end to end. I've also got lesser coverage in my driveway but still 11M.

Originally posted by knucklebusted
The default power on a WRT54G is 25% and I've twisted mine up to 33%. It is a single story ranch 1800sqft with the router about the middle of the house but I can get full coverage at 54M from end to end. I've also got lesser coverage in my driveway but still 11M.

Couldya please tell me how?

Joing this group and either download the Sveasoft or WIFI-Box version. Both are capable of doing the power boost.

WIFI-Box is available directly from source forge and Sveasoft is available from their website.

Here's the website for Sveasoft. I've ran both, they have different target audiences but still very good stuff.

Originally posted by knucklebusted
Joing this group and either download the Sveasoft or WIFI-Box version. Both are capable of doing the power boost.

WIFI-Box is available directly from source forge and Sveasoft is available from their website.

Here's the website for Sveasoft. I've ran both, they have different target audiences but still very good stuff.

Umm... am I blind or do I not see any links?

My parents house is about 4500sq ft, I can access the AP from the kitchen on first floor, other side of the house from the AP which is on the second floor. As the crow flies, I'd guess about 180-200ft. I only get about 3mbps from the kitchen, sometimes 1mbps. But its enough to get on the web and access mail. As soon as I step out of the kitchen, the signal gets a lot better, and I'll usually go up to 11mbps or a little higher. It's more than likely due to all the appliances in the kitchen and the flourescent lighting.

The house is old, built in the 70's, the signal has to go through a lot of walls, and a floor. This was the first AP I ever used that I could afford (read: Cisco worked too, borrowed it from work) that would let me leave the second floor and still get a signal.

I played around with the placement of the AP before I decided on a place for it go. Seems I get the best signal throughout the house with the AP being in this specific room. There are a couple of dead spots, even closer to the AP than the kitchen, but that's usually going to happen in a big house unless you have multiple AP's throughout your house.

Back