recommend wiki engines

Parmenides

Supreme [H]ardness
Anyone have experiences with some of the open source wiki engine's around? What works out nicely, what didn't? I am open to either .net based or php. Also I'd like to keep private use in mind.

It all depends on what you are using it for. Give us more details.

You might as well have asked this:
anyone have experiences with some of the internal combustion vehicles around? What works out nicely, what didn't? I am open to either gasoline based or diesel. Also I'd like to keep private use in mind.

The only wiki I'd ever bother using would be MediaWiki, as it's the only wiki platform the majority of will-be wiki contributors will know how to use.

maybe it's just me and the fact i've never really needed to, but mediawiki seems rather cumbersome to modify the theme in any way to make it not look like wikipedia (merely changing colors doesn't count).

The point of using MediaWiki is to make it look like Wikipedia.
People are familiar with how Wikipedia works, some are already familiar with how the editing works, etc.
The same look is to inspire confidence by saying "We are running the same system as Wikipedia, it works, we know what we are doing, and you already know how to use it."

Thanks all.

It all depends on what you are using it for. Give us more details.

You might as well have asked this:

Well, not all the requirements are pinned down. I was hoping more for a general garage "shop talk." The kind mechanics would talk about when talking about internal combustion engines. The conversation might change from gasoline based to diesel based. Or perhaps debates on what's better for larger trucks.

Anyways a lot of hard info can be gleaned from those wiki comparison charts and such on the web. I was wondering about experiences like "I used Docuwiki and it works great except when ...." or " ___wiki is not very flexible for modifications and such." or "don't bother trying to do _____ on _____wiki."

Most importantly, I'm wondering about stuff I might not think about (anticipate) when looking at those charts.
As far as details: I'm open to either things: .net vs. php, textfile data vs. database data.
I will be using MS Server 2003. It will be for internal (non-public) collaboration, but may open up to be public or semi-public down the road.

Well, not all the requirements are pinned down. I was hoping more for a general garage "shop talk." The kind mechanics would talk about when talking about internal combustion engines. The conversation might change from gasoline based to diesel based. Or perhaps debates on what's better for larger trucks.
As the mechanic would say, use the right tool for the job.
A wiki is NOT a venue for discussion, it's a reference.

heheh, crack me up. Very true. Analogies.... heheh. Lighten my day :)

Yes, mechanics like simple solutions without making it complex (who wouldn't?).
I'm not being contentious here, but you were talking about fixing things and getting things to work, about tools for the job (i.e. installing a wiki and getting it to function right). I'm asking about the engine choices.... you know... to find out if some people hated working with one engine, while loving another. Whether one engine handled cold weather better, etc... That's shop talk.

Thanks again, I think I'll test drive a couple

Back