Recommend this External Drive or a DIY Solution?

ToasteD

Limp Gawd
Hi, I was looking into an external Hard Drive for my iBook. I would like one that works with both PC and Mac. I found this drive and I loved the design and thought the price was pretty decent. What do you guys think of http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail~dpno~267264.asp

Other option would be to buy an enclosure and a drive from newegg. I don''t know which one would be compatible with my iBook, but I could probably save a few bucks. Any recommendations (If I bought my own enclosure I would most likely get a Western Digital 250 GB 7200 RPM Drive with 8 MB cache)

my friend just pruchased the vantec enclosure for his amd pc and ibook,

it's firewire and usb2.0

here

As a rule it's cheaper to build an external drive, which i'd advise unless you were using firewire 800 in which case the lacie drives just plain rock

-esr

[edit]

i didnt completely answer your question. Any firewire or usb2.0 enclosure should do.

i cary a 500 gig laCie big disk 2 with me everywhere my little iBook goes. i picked the packaged option over a home made after bad experiences with the mobility of my past home made external hard drives. the lacies are better suited for mobile use and just seem a safer option. either way i couldnt imagine using an ibook without an external hdd. 30 gig just isnt enough for a laptop.

Back