Recommend SSD for RAID 0

Chrisroman

Gawd
Do any SSD support trim in Raid 0? If not, what impact is there by not having trim? I was planning to use the Marvel 6GB controller on my x58 board to save money. Any tried using this controller? Curious what the performance is.

Which 2x256 SSD would you get for a Raid 0 setup?

You won't perceive any performance gains in everyday use, unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket it's not worth striping 2 SSD's.

If I were I'd consider 2 Samsung 840 Pro's.

I'd like to second the notion that it would be a waste. The only situation I've seen any benefit from stripping ssds in involved a dedicated server all our short term backups were moved to each night. It was running 4 ssds in a raid 1+0 array. It only benefited due to the backups being multiple GB each and the network actually became the bottleneck then.

In a desktop situation, you add needless latency to your disk transactions with the ssd by stripping them. The biggest benefit you notice from ssds is the decreased latency they operate with and the number of IOPs they operate with compared with rotating disks. Why add useless latency back in to the equation? You'll only benefit in file copy speeds. Programs won't load any faster just because you can hit double the theoretical speed as compared to one ssd alone.

Forgot to mention this upgrade is primarily for the space. Using single 250GB Crucial C300, need more space. I was thinking I may as well get 2x256 vs a single 512 and move the C300 to my laptop. Most of the deals lately seem to be on the 250 size.

Whatever you do, don't put SSDs on that Marvel controller (HDDs are fine). Stay on the Intel.

Trim in RAID0 is only supported on Z77 platforms.

If you want more SSD space, just add it as a secondary drive. Stripping opens you up to risk, if one of the drives packs it in you will loose all data.

Or upgrade your Crucial to a Samsung 840 Pro and move your Crucial as your Data SSD.

If this is just to house games a speedy 7,200rpm 3TB Drive would also be fine.

Back